Tap area for Radio buttons is now too large

12-09-2020 07:02 AM
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I think someone else had posted this but I cannot find it.

I was one of the people that asked for the tapable area to be larger for radio buttons back in v2 or early v3.  It was way too picky for large hands.

But now it seems the area is too big.  We are having lots of issues with users accidently tapping while scrolling.  When they happens on a question that runs a large relevant they lose everything they just collected.

Even when a user taps miles away from the word it still gets it.

DougBrowning_1-1607525458665.png

I tried to get it smaller but even when going vertical you can still tap all the way out here.

DougBrowning_0-1607525365288.png

One idea then was to use hidden instead of relevant so at least they do not lose all their collected data.  But the issue then becomes all of these blank records when they do want a No.

DougBrowning_2-1607525538005.png

Is there anyway to cut down the area around No here?  Can they be looked at by the team?  I am thinking a margin around the entire form that does not trigger taps.  This way scrolling is ok and you do not tap accidently with a thumb while holding or going something else.  Maybe even a visible scroll bar would do it.

One idea was to create a blank grid cell next to it.  Would still need something in there like intentionally left blank.  The big issue on this form though is this section is already a repeat in a group, so another group would make it triple nested.  This looks weird and takes up lots of space.

DougBrowning_4-1607525936819.png

If anyone has any ideas let me know.

Thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Doug,

I am not seeing this issue when testing on my iPad or Android device. Which devices (make/model/OS version) are you seeing this issue on? What is the screen resolution of the devices?

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Just retested on Android Active 2 Pro 10 inch and iPad Pro 2020 12 inch using 3.12 and I can tap all the way to the edge of the screen and it still selects.  Also tested 3.11 on my Pixel 4 and also does it.  I think older versions as well since the crews have been asking me about it for at least 6 months now.

Surprised you are not seeing it.  Can tap all the way next to choice 2 to get choice 1 and all the way to the edge of the screen for choice 2.

What else can I try?

thanks

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Doug,

Which survey are you seeing this happen with, all of them, or just some? Could this problem be related to surveys that use grid theme?

I tested a bunch of surveys without grid theme and they all seem to work fine. I can click anywhere in the area that is related to the choice, not just the selection radio button or label, but also the white space, which was what you previously requested as an enhancement.

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I see it in Grids and not grids.  Yes I think a number of us asked for the button and the word, but now it is so far away from the word that users are hitting it when scrolling.  Maybe a buffer around the edges would help?  Since there is no scroll bar (which would be nice actually) our users say that scrolling causes a lot of opps taps.

Has anyone else experienced this?  I guess I will open it up.  I do really like that you made it bigger, it just seems a little too big now?

We keep trying to come up with way to not accidently lose data that took some time to collect.  If I use hidden we are getting blank repeat records.  Then they asked for a our you sure button but the forms start getting crazy then.

Open to any ideas!  thanks

0 Kudos