Taking photos in Survey123 crashes Windows10 device

02-02-2018 06:01 AM
ClaireWood
New Contributor III

Hi,

I have a few surveys with photo questions, and am testing them on a new Windows 10 device (Juniper Systems Mesa2).   Without fail, clicking the camera icon in the photo question crashes Survey123 every time.  Is this a bug, or are there some settings which require changing somewhere? 

The surveys work fine on other devices (e.g. iPad).

Many thanks,

Claire 

Tags (3)
14 Replies
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Claire,

Unfortunately, there is an issue with the Mesa 2's camera specifically (BUG-000095206).  It is in our backlog to address and we have been working with Juniper to resolve this.

0 Kudos
ORyanSmith1
New Contributor

Hi James,

This is the first that we have heard of this issue. If this issue is truly specific to the Mesa 2, does this issue still occur when only the front-facing camera is disabled under Device Manager > System devices > Camera Sensor OV2722? Or disabling only the rear camera which is the Camera Sensor IMX175? This could help identify the issue.

0 Kudos
ClaireWood
New Contributor III

Hi ORyan, Just to let you know that I have tried disabling the front and rear cameras, as you suggest.  The crash still occurs regardless of which camera is disabled.  

Claire

0 Kudos
ORyanSmith1
New Contributor

Thanks for the additional feedback, Claire. We are investigating. We have customers report similar issues occurring with Survey123 running on other Windows 10 tablet devices as well. So there is still the question of if this is device specific or not. We will be talking further with ESRI on this subject.

0 Kudos
ClaireWood
New Contributor III

Hi - has there been any progress on this yet?

Thanks,
Claire 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Claire,

Unfortunately, as James pointed out, there is an issue with the Mesa 2's camera specifically. It is still in our backlog to address and we have been working with Juniper to resolve this, however it has not currently been resolved.

Phil.

0 Kudos
ChuckFarr1
New Contributor

Has there been any updates or resolution to this issue yet?  We'd like to use Survey123 sometime in the near future, but not if it crashes everything else we are running.

Thanks - Chuck

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Chuck,

Which devices are you using?  As mentioned above, we have received reports from technical support specifically on the Juniper Mesa; I see other comments that have possibly identified another set of devices and possibly a camera module.

0 Kudos
ChuckFarr1
New Contributor

James - Thanks for getting back with me on this.

We use the Juniper Systems Mesa² tablet running Windows 10, and for field work have been very happy with them. The crashing issue we've experienced only occurs when taking a picture in Survey123. Other than when taking a picture from inside Survey123 everything worked great. So as a workaround for our field crews we proposed using Survey123 for everything but photos and using their cell phones to take separate stand-alone photos. It is an option, but I believe the field crews just stopped using the Survey123 altogether and went back to manual data recording. I was hoping to revisit the issue with them, but if there is still no fix then we'll hold off. 

0 Kudos