Taking Collector/Survey123 Workflow Offline

Jump to solution
02-01-2021 08:47 PM
icf_Eric_Link
New Contributor III

Hello,

I am wanting to utilize Collector and Survey123 for a large survey that we are supporting.  I understand that we can call up Survey123 from a custom popup in Collector however I am wondering if this also works when offline?  The area we will be surveying in does not have cell coverage.  Any info is great appreciated.  

Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Yes you are basically just passing text from Collector to 123 like any other URL.  You can create the collector point on the fly or preload them.

For mine I have 9 forms all connected to a main point.  The main point sits in Collector as where they should go and is not editable.  Then I pass keys and config info to the form.  I use relationship classes to tie them all together.  See this post for more on that  https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-questions/mapping-with-survey123-within-a-polygon-or-...

Been working great for 3 years now.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
VictorTey
Esri Contributor

Hi, the survey will work offline (stored locally in the inbox) and will sync and upload once there is reception.  Some survey may have custom code (e.g pulldata) to retrieve data online somewhere and those will obviously break.

Hope that helps 🙂

0 Kudos
icf_Eric_Link
New Contributor III

Thanks VictorTey for your response that is helpful.

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Yes I do this on 3 diff large Collector to 123 projects.  Also have one using field maps.

I suggest testing all of your workflows offline as they do act a little different.  Also Collector offline areas have no integration with 123.  That means  you have to setup both separately if you want to see a map in 123 offline.  For us we just skip the map part in 123 as we just want to grab the point location anyway.  You cannot type in corrds if you have no map and it seems like polygons and lines will not work either.

In addition since 123 and collector have separate DBs you cannot see the collected forms in Collector until after you sync.

Hope that helps

0 Kudos
icf_Eric_Link
New Contributor III

Thank you for responding DougBrowning.  If we take a point in Collector and then select the newly created point, open the popup and then click the hyperlink to pull up survey123 form will the 123 form tied to the point populate the attributes in the point layer we are using in Collector?  I'm pretty sure that is how it works but wanted to confirm.  Again thank you for your input!

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Yes you are basically just passing text from Collector to 123 like any other URL.  You can create the collector point on the fly or preload them.

For mine I have 9 forms all connected to a main point.  The main point sits in Collector as where they should go and is not editable.  Then I pass keys and config info to the form.  I use relationship classes to tie them all together.  See this post for more on that  https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-questions/mapping-with-survey123-within-a-polygon-or-...

Been working great for 3 years now.

icf_Eric_Link
New Contributor III

Thanks so much DougBrowning for your responses.  Much appreciated.