Tablet died, need to restore survey data for continued editing in the field

06-04-2021 11:28 AM
ShellyWayte
New Contributor II

My tablet died. How can I transfer the survey 123 data from my online account back to a device for continued editing?

10 Replies
GIS_Fox
Occasional Contributor III

Hi @ShellyWayte,

I had asked a similar question recently and got a lot of useful information you might find helpful. The link to my post and it's replies will be below:

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-questions/does-survey123-save-or-retain-data-when-a-m... 

Have a great weekend, God bless,

Jansen Lyons

City of Rio Rancho, NM, USA

Records & GIS Section - Public Works

Jansen Lyons - Records and GIS Section - Public Works - City of Rio Rancho, NM
0 Kudos
ShellyWayte
New Contributor II

Unfortunately this does not quite resolve my issue.  Unless I'm missing something, these links are very informative with transferring data from the field device to the computer.  I need to go the opposite direction. All my data is in the ArcGis Online account. However, now that I have a new field device, I cannot edit those existing surveys via the Survey123 app. I am trying to make existing, previously submitted surveys available to the user on a new field device.

GIS_Fox

Hi @ShellyWayte , I understand. It may be a permissions issue then, you should be able to log into your ArcGIS online account on the S123 app to download the surveys and stay logged in in order to start using or editing what you need. If I'm mistaken then I would certainly defer to the other ESRI community members. I wouldn't think this isn't how the workflow would go, we've done this previously for our users. Hmm, if it's not a permissions issue then perhaps it's device specific?

I have several projects that will be following this workflow, I would be happy to check around if this doesn't work so we both have an answer. Cheers! J.Lyons

0 Kudos
ShellyWayte
New Contributor II

When signed in to ArcGis Online account, I can open the survey on the field device. However, I cannot access any of the previously submitted forms.  In our situation we need to revisit and collect information over several months at the same location.  Previously all the forms submitted were viewable/editable from the tablet. (there was an option to open form or collect new). Now that device is non-functional and all the data entered from that device is inaccessible.  I am only seeing a Collect option.  Not sure which permissions I need to change as I have them all open to full access to anyone in my Group.

GIS_Fox

Hi @ShellyWayte , that sounds like what I have had before, but I haven't had any new devices or changes like that. There may be a workaround for this. If your device only limits you to collection, you may be able to open a web browser and go into your ArcGIS online account to edit previous records that way? I don't know what functions work between devices or versions so much, but try going in from a web browser on your tablet/device in addition to the S123 app. If there are multiple ways to get to the answer I'm sure there's one that works better than others. Hope this will help, best regards!

0 Kudos
ShellyWayte
New Contributor II

OK...I think I may understand the problem but not the fix. My survey is not formatted with an "Inbox".  I am watching a tutorial that shows a survey formatted with an inbox and shows how they can download existing data from the web feature to the field app. HOW DO I MAKE AN INBOX??

GIS_Fox

Sure thing. You can go in and set that up using the Survey123 desktop app. I'll leave the link below from where you can start into the documentation. There's multiple pages on this so hopefully the one below will be a helpful start for you. The Survey123 Connect site may also be a good resolution point for this, has been before on other topics but does involve some mild coding.

https://doc.arcgis.com/en/survey123/desktop/create-surveys/prepareforediting.htm 

0 Kudos
ShellyWayte
New Contributor II

To add the inbox setting it appears the changes are not updated unless I click publish. The warning I see says it will overwrite the existing feature service and all previously collected data will be lost. I definitely do not want to lose the data. Thoughts? and thank you for your continued help on this.

ShellyWayte
New Contributor II

Looks like I can download the results of the original survey, publish with the updated inbox feature and then bring the data back in to the new feature service.