Surveys with Large External Choices

01-17-2018 08:10 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I love the functionality of external_choices. It has greatly improved the performance of surveys.

But, I have noticed that surveys with large external choices only work in the field app. I haven't been able to get these to work on a browser.

Any solutions?

11 Replies
JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Geethaka

Just to clarify - we do support external_selects in the web form. It would be good to know how many records are in the choice list of your_external select? 

Thanks

John

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Johnathan, I noticed that it works with smaller number of records.

But, anything over about 1,000 wouldn't work.

Thanks for looking into this.

Gee

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Moving the large external selects into the "choices" tab would make it work on a browser. But, the field app would be extremely slow.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Will we expect a fix for this soon?

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Geethaka,

Can you share the form you are using?  As an example https://survey123.arcgis.com/share/1a230ad5b0ff44289bf06dff5e6a13ac  has a choice list of ~3800 and works

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Here is the link to the form - https://survey123.arcgis.com/share/8d560a5591ff4e8abe3a62564c89f057 

Please note: the rest of the survey and external selects are loaded upon agreeing to the disclaimer. But, it doesn't seem to work on a browser.

Thanks,

Gee

0 Kudos
JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Geethaka - could you share your survey xls too?

We can take a look and see if there are any improvements that can be made to get it working.

Thanks

John

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks JHasthorpe-esristaff‌ and JTedrick-esristaff‌. I have emailed both of you a copy of my xls.

Thanks,

Gee

0 Kudos
TjeerdBruijn
New Contributor II

Hello,

External choices works great, but now i have a problem with it. With choices you can use a number, and as label the text. In ArcGIS online app you see then the labelname in the popup. But with external choices you see only the number. So an example:

name      Label

1              Ground

2               Water

3            Fire

4            air

In the AGOL you see only the number, and not the text. Is it possible to have this (with script, other choice or something else)? That you see the text instead of the numbers?

Kind regards,

Tjeerd Bruijn

0 Kudos