Surveying the same location many times without duplicating and incrementing it

11-22-2019 01:36 PM
TahirTamba1
New Contributor III

Hi,
I created a Survey 123 form using the Collector hosted feature service to complete a survey based on status of interventions at multiple locations in the field.
Our field workers team would like to conduct surveys on a recurring interval in the same locations to determine the status and quality of the interventions without duplicating the location points, but also without overwriting the condition, as well as the quality of the interventions performed at the site at earlier date.
How can a Survey questionnaire be configured to meet this requirement? Knowing that the same point can be polled at different dates and times without being duplicated or incremented by the values entered previously?

Thank you!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
CPoynter
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Tahir,

I have a project like this. One survey initially recorded the GPS location of the survey points whilst a second survey uses the unique ID of a point to record subsequent visitation information over a season. The second survey records no GPS location and is essentially building related table records.

The two surveys are then linked to a create a new feature service so locations and seasonal information can be viewed.

Regards,

Craig

0 Kudos
TahirTamba1
New Contributor III

Hi Craig,

Thank you Craig, and sorry to respond a little late to your post ... Thank you Craig, and sorry to respond a little late to your post ... That's exactly what I'm trying to achieve in this issue of inspecting the quality of snow removal operations.

In my case the inspection points were made using Collector and then I got back the Collector inspection information and I created a Survey123 form using the Collector entity layer and adding the related information the status of the quality of the operations at a given date and time.

The Survey 123 form is based on the status of the following assets: Sewer manhole, intersection between the roadway and sidewalk, with the indicator as "Cleared" or "Not Cleared" indicator and a last status consisting of monitor the risk of ice formation indicating the degree of it's formation by assigning the following values: "low", "medium" and "high" as value domains in the Geodatabase.
In my case, when I loaded the points in Survey 123 connect and try to select the point from the ID and fill it more than once, it overwrites the information entered previously. While I thought Survey was going to duplicate the fields and save the information based on the date and time.
I would like you to share more about your approach. Perhaps, there are steps that I have not done properly.
Thank you again for your answer!
Regards,

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Tahir,

Currently it is not possible to open the Survey123 field app directly in 'edit' mode.  This type of workflow (having an editable component to an asset) can be accomplished by having 2 tables - an asset table and an inspection table.  The assets appear in Collector and open a form of the inspection table while passing the id of the asset so that a relationship can be created later (or work with an existing relationship class).

0 Kudos
TahirTamba1
New Contributor III

Hi James,

Thank you for your reply.! I am currently on the track that you suggest to me. I created from a post that I read in GeoNet ... So, to be clear, I inform you that I'm not trying to edit point geometry. My initial idea was to create a new form from the Collector Hosted Feature Layer, following the example provided by the following post: https://community.esri.com/groups/survey123/blog/2016 / 07/30 / understanding-survey123s-custom-url-scheme. Unfortunately, with this approach, I was not able to store temporal information on status, status and quality of inspections.

Next, I would like to complete the survey with recurring spot inspections during the winter season during clearing and snow loading operations. Inspection points are fixed measurement points.

In reality what is changing is the frequency of passage on the same point at a given time interval. This is the information I would like to collect and store via Surveys123. This information gives us an overview of the status and quality of snow removal operations over time.

I'll experiment with your suggestion by creating an inspection relationship table and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

Regards,

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Not sure I totally get your question.  You could use Arcade to show or hide the form launch link.

0 Kudos
TahirTamba1
New Contributor III

Hi Goug,

My question is not related to showing or hiding the form launch link as you mentioned. My issue is about how to record inspections status using points locations previously surveyed and adding status information's quality based on subsequent visitations. Because the field workers group would like to have the status of the point visitation situation occuring during the season...

Regards,

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Ok then all you have to do is launch new forms from the existing point (instead of editing).  That way each staff visit is a form/record in the db.  Then relate them all together.

See my post on this here

Mapping with Survey123 within a polygon or admin unit 

You can use the related data or Arcade to change symbols of you want.

Hope that helps.

0 Kudos