Survey123 will not launch on Trimble TDC-100

02-07-2019 08:33 AM
JonBrito1
New Contributor II

Aloha,

This is my first question that I have posted to these boards. But I am running into an issue with my workʻs Trimble TDC-100. Survey123 is unable to open on my TDC-100. I cannot even get to the login page. Upon tapping the app all that I am met with is a white screen and slow response from clicking the home button or trying to close it. 

What is kind of weird is my Collector app works flawlessly and we have been using it to take some data. However we needed something more like a form and thats where Survey123 came in. Currently (on samsung work phones) the workflow is to use collector to find an item we want information on, use a custom url to pass on certain fields to survey123, and have our fieldworkers fill out our form. Works flawlessly on Samsung Note 9. 

As a side note have tried launching survey123 on its own on the TDC-100 instead of using the workflow described above and still unable to login and am only getting a white screen

Thanks,

Jon 

0 Kudos
7 Replies
BrandonArmstrong
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Jon,

There have not been any issues launching the Survey123 field app on TDC-100's in the past, but what you are encountering could be related to memory issues.  I would recommend attempting to uninstall and reinstall Survey123 as a start, and if the issue still persists, reference the documentation provided here...

System requirements—Survey123 for ArcGIS | ArcGIS 

Please let us know how it goes. 

0 Kudos
JonBrito1
New Contributor II

Hi Brandon!

I have done an uninstall/ reinstall of the app. Did the same with collector thinking maybe that would help too. Reinstalled app, this also yielded the same results: Collector works perfectly but Survey123 cannot open and I am met with a white screen. Did a test, thinking maybe it was just being slow but 4 hours later it still had not moved on from the white screen.

Did a factory reset and formatted the SD card hoping to reset any  memory. Did my login credentials, reinstalled the app and same issue. 

Do you think there is anything else I could do besides the steps taken above? 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Jon,

Is the Android OS and system up to date on the TDC-100? We see white screens on Windows and other OS when the graphics drivers or blutetooth drivers are outdated and not supported by the latest version of the app.

I am thinking it could be something similar? We have a TDC-100 here with Android 6.01 that is update to date and i just tested with it and we can successfully run Survey123 3.2 (public release) and the latest 3.3 beta release.

Phil.

JonBrito1
New Contributor II

Hi Philip,

I am attaching a screen shout with the android build number below. Sorry I am not super familiar with the android OS but I couldnʻt find anything regarding a a graphics driver option to update. I am using Survey 123 version 3.2.265 at the moment.  

I did download Survey 123 classic from the google play store as an experiment to see if that would launch. I am met with a black screen with "Survey 123 Classic" at the top. 

Im not sure if my Trimble TDC-100 is somehow defective? We had some success with it and Collector so we are ordering 6 more. I just find it weird that Collector works perfectly and Survey123 wonʻt even launch.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Jon,

Thanks, are you able to test the latest beta version 3.3 available on EAC here: Welcome to our Feedback Community 

Also, can you try and uninstall the app completely on the device, and delete the app folders also, they are located in an ArcGIS folder located on the internal storage. Just delete everything in this folder. Note that it will delete all downloaded surveys, settings, the sqlite database, survey attachments on the device. So ensure you have sent all surveys not yet sent to server and backed up data before deleting.

After that folder is empty, please try install 3.2 or 3.3 beta again.

Phil.

JonBrito1
New Contributor II

Hi Philip,

I guess my issue has been resolved through my own trial and error. I found out that my current SD cards are either bad or not compatible with the TDC-100. Up till now I have been using some older Sandisk micro sd cards that are a few years old. We ordered a few newer Sandisk via Amazon and Survey123 worked immediately after it the new SD card got popped in and formatted. 

Not sure why it worked but it did. Very happy to have Survey123 up and running

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Jon,

Great, glad to hear you got Survey123 working on that device.

Phil.

0 Kudos