Survey123 Website Installation

03-10-2021 11:54 PM
ShaneTurk2
New Contributor

ArcGIS Enterprise 10.8.1 fully patched

Windows Server OS

I have just installed and configure the Survey123 Website on a clients Portal Server. The installation and the configuration was successful however, it seems that I can only access the survey123 website from the portal server it was installed/configured on. When I access from their federated hosting server I get a website not found error.

The ArcGIS.com Survey123 website point to the clients portal works exactly how I want the installed version to work.

Is there a white paper on why you need to install it on premise rather than use arcgis.com? Pros and cons would be great.

Any help would be appreciated. 

0 Kudos
6 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Survey123 website installation alongside ArcGIS Enterprise is required to support a disconnected environment.

You should only install the Survey123 website if you have a specific requirement to host the Survey123 website or Survey123 REST API on your infrastructure. There is otherwise no benefit to using the installed Survey123 website, but there are some disadvantages and limitations; for example, setup and maintenance overhead, and the absence of the report functionality. In most cases, https://survey123.arcgis.com should be the preferred option.

Think Location
0 Kudos
ShaneTurk2
New Contributor

Does this mean that the 'best practice' is to use the ArcGIS.com Survey123 website and point it to our Enterprise Portal?  If so, is there any documentation confirming this?

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Unless you need to work in a disconnected environment, you should work with  https://survey123.arcgis.com
Use Survey123 with ArcGIS Enterprise 

Think Location
0 Kudos
ShaneTurk2
New Contributor

Thanks for the reply.  My client just wants reassurance that this is best practice.  If this is the case, does the same principle apply for Field Maps or does this need to be installed on premise if you wish to use your ArcGIS Enterprise?  It would be really great if there was some best practice/white paper documentation as this would assist in the architecture/design process. 

0 Kudos
BrettStokes
Esri Contributor

Hi Shane,

Why does your client need the Survey123 website installed on their own infrastructure? As mentioned in the previous replies and in the documentation, you should only go down this path if there is a specific requirement (eg security etc) to do so. Some customers have policies that prohibit any external communications entirely, meaning that they cannot access the survey123.arcgis.com API at all, their ArcGIS Enterprise deployment is in a completely disconnected environment. The Survey123 website installer has been released to allow customers like this to still benefit from (most of the) Survey123 functionality.

Having said this, the installed Survey123 website should be accessible from any machine that is authenticated onto the same network as the host server. Please contact Esri support if you need to trouble shoot this.

In lieu of a specific requirement, best practice is to use survey123.arcgis.com and point it to your ArcGIS Enterprise. The Field Maps web application is essentially installed within your ArcGIS Enterprise deployment so this example is not really comparable to using survey123.arcgis.com pointed to your ArcGIS Enterprise Portal.

Hope this helps,

Brett

ShaneTurk2
New Contributor

Thanks for the reply.  I have uninstalled, and reinstalled, add the 2 IIS variables and installed a reverse proxy.  The URL is now accessible from any machine via authentication.  However, when we authenticate we get the following error:

ShaneTurk2_0-1615753630844.png

It seems as the URL for the portal isnt being stored correctly.  After the user authenticates the portal URL changes to the screen shot below and then the error that was depicted above.

ShaneTurk2_1-1615753739635.png

0 Kudos