Survey123 unable to capture current location

07-05-2017 08:39 PM
ShoumenChatterji
New Contributor

Survey123 location not working on my android phone. Even we have 4g and location service turned on, after that also its not working. Please tell us solution ASAP

39 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Guy, I will need to investigate this further and get back to you. Thanks for all the additional information. Phil.

0 Kudos
erica_poisson
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Phil,

I was wondering if there had been any reports of a similar error "Position Source Access Error" occurring with iPad Mini's? It's an intermittent problem, where sometimes the location can be accessed in Survey123, and sometimes that error appears. When positioning was tested in Collector (outside), the location is being picked up and reported correctly - this issue only appear sporadically in Survey123. We've made sure the app is up-to-date, but still can't figure out what is causing this to happen. We are using a Bad Elf GPS Pro receiver with an iPad that is NOT cellular-enable (it always runs offline).

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated, even if you think it might be worth going directly to Bad Elf to determine if it's a firmware issue. We have other iPad/GPS pairs using the same products and no others are having this issue...

Thank you!

Erica

Erica
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

We have numerous users getting the "Position Source Access Error" since the update to 3.0.132.  

1) Can you confirm that your location appears in Collector or another mapping application?

Yes, works in Collector, Google Maps, and GNSS Status when offline

2) What model of Tablet are you using?

Samsung Galaxy Tab A (2016) SM-T280 Android version 5.1.1

3) Are you using the internal GPS or an external receiver?

Just the device GPS

We can't manually enter location either.

No issues with location on all of the other devices we use with this version of the app.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Damien,

Do you have any calculations or defaults on your geopoint questions? Does it happen or all devices with all surveys, or just some devices and some surveys? If so which ones?

Are you able to share a copy of your xlsx file if you think it is specific to one of your surveys only?

Phil.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hey Philp,

The survey in question works great on a variety of devices but has issues on the Tab A model mentioned previously as well as on a iPad mini 4 64 gig (Model: MK822LL/A) iOS 11.4.  The survey has calculations/geofence on geopoint fields so 0,0 isn't accepted.  I tested the Tab A on another survey with no calculations on the geopoint and while I was able to manually add location, it never got a location fix.  This was in open canopy on flat terrain.  Collector, GNSS status, and Google Maps were able to provide location from the same spot.  I'll send you what we have on our geopoints.  

Thank you,

D

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Attached is the geopoint info for the survey that can’t get location input (or manually enter location) on a couple of device models.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Damien,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, I was at the UC and now back in office catching up on outstanding tasks, plus I wanted to test your survey on some of our devices here in the office. So, I am unable to replicate the issues you are having with certain devices not getting a valid position source. I tested your survey on a similar spec Tab A and iPad, as well as a range of other iOS, Android and Windows devices. All of them worked as expected, with the location being set from the GPS either automatically, or using the cross hair to update, or I could manually set location by the geoseach entry method or typing in the coordinates. In all cases the calculations you have set work to display the note when I am outside of the US.

For the devices getting a "Position Source Access Error" this usually means the device is offline, location services is disabled or there is an error on the device with location information. It could be that another app is trying to access location information and causing Survey123 not to get access to location services.

You mention that you could not manually enter coordinates either, with the 3.0 release we have changed the way manual entry of coordinates worked as well as implemented geosearch and geocoding features. Regardless of whether the device has a position source or valid location, you should still be able to manually move the map or enter the coordinates via the "Map coordinate input only" optionYou can find out more here: Quick reference—Survey123 for ArcGIS | ArcGIS and in more details regarding coordinate formats here: https://community.esri.com/groups/survey123/blog/2018/07/08/working-with-usng-and-mgrs-in-survey123-... 

Hope this helps.

Phil.

0 Kudos
JenniferSmits
New Contributor III

I have a similar slightly different problem. With the new update in July 2019 v3.5.164, I now receive the error "Unable to connect, position source access error" even if I have alerts turned off. It is important that the form doesn't collect location data so I have location services switched off for the app in iOS settings. It has worked seemless in the version before. 

I don't see the point of this new error alert if I have the alerts switched off. It is very annoying for my field staff who have low levels of tolerance for this type of error.

The error shows up as soon as I open the App.

Position source access error

Different to the inbuilt location settings alert "No position received":

No Position Received Alert

Has anyone got a work around for me?

Thanks - Jen

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Jen,

Can you please try with the latest 3.6 beta builds we have available on EAC? I believe this issue should have already been fixed, and will be in the next release. You may need to delete the settings for the app in the "C:\Users\{username}\ArcGIS\AppStudio\Settings" by deleting the .json file. This will apply to Windows, MacOS and Android, but on iOS when you uninstall and reinstall the app this will happen automatically.

Phil.

0 Kudos
JosephMootz1
Occasional Contributor

Hello Phil,

I have the same issue as Jennifer with the "Unable to Connect" message appearing even though Alerts are turned off. I tried your suggestion and downloaded the Beta version (3.655B), deleted the settings files and I get the same results. I am using Survey 123 on a Windows 7 Desktop computer. Is there a previously released version I could download from somewhere? We have been using a retired version 2.3.29 for the last couple of years and just started having issues so need to upgrade.

Thank you.

--joe