Survey123 seem to lose connection to feature service

Jump to solution
09-04-2018 01:29 AM
Schalkvan_Lill1
Esri Contributor

Hi all

I have a feature service running on ArcGIS Server (10.5) for which the data resides in a SQL database.

This service is registered in AGOL and then used as the feature service populated by a Survey123 survey. 

Users complete surveys using the windows app on a PC.

The issue:

Everything works as expected for about half of the surveys completed, but the other half fails to send with no error being recorded. It stays in the Outbox with a red exclamation mark. Behaviour is intermittent and inconsistent.

Trawling through the Survey123 logs suggests that applyEdits fails with an error code of "0" and no message being recorded. This leads me to believe that I am losing connection to the service (see attached extract of .log file). Sync is set in the capabilities of the feature service running on ArcGIS Server. There is nothing recorded in the ArcGIS Server logs.

The workaround:

Deleting the surveys that failed to send and re-entering them as a new survey resolves the issue, but this is not practical.

Does anyone else have the same experience? Any thoughts?

Thanks

Schalk

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Schalkvan_Lill1
Esri Contributor

I was finally able to get behind the cause of the surveys getting stuck in the outbox. The customer's IT department is actively blocking some special characters. When these special characters are avoided, everything seems to work as expected.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Schalk,

I noticed a redirect in the in the log - I'm wondering if that's tripping something up? 

0 Kudos
Schalkvan_Lill1
Esri Contributor

Hi James. Thanks very much for the quick reply. I've been looking into it more. I've captured a log for a survey that fails and for a survey that succeeds. The redirect only happens when the survey fails to send. Still trying to ascertain why this is happening.

0 Kudos
Schalkvan_Lill1
Esri Contributor

I was finally able to get behind the cause of the surveys getting stuck in the outbox. The customer's IT department is actively blocking some special characters. When these special characters are avoided, everything seems to work as expected.

0 Kudos