Survey123 reporting website fails to produce reports

05-13-2021 05:35 AM
LeonardBarnhill
Occasional Contributor

I am trying to export reports for field captured data including images but getting a report of failure.  This failed yesterday also but I did not have time to research the problem.  Today I upgraded to the 3.13 Survey123 Beta website and go the same error as yesterday using the 3.12 Beta website..  Two screenshots attached - Survey123 Failure to export report is the first screen shown in the Report task pane after the failure.  The second screenshot is the popup response to clicking on More Details.

My process - I selected the surveys I want to export then click Report.  I verify that it will be using the appropriate template and accept that it will split the reports into separate documents.  I modify the name of the reports to the name shown next to the red circled X at the top of the first report screenshot.  I verify that it will be saving a copy to the correct folder in my organization and that it will produce PDF documents the click Generate.

I have tried generating one (1) report with same error message.  I tried creating the reporte as a word doc, still same error message

Additional information.  I cannot print any reports for last week so I went back and selected two reports that downloaded the previous week.  They do not download either - same error messages.

Update:  Connected to the newest release of the Survey123 website and attempted to download 6 reports.  Still failed to produce any reports.  See the attached for error message - different than previous screenshots:

Suggestions on getting my reports to download would be appreciated.

Leonard

0 Kudos
5 Replies
LeonardBarnhill
Occasional Contributor

Good afternoon James,

I have tried exporting the reports, as a group and singly, but Word versions do not download either.  I think I said in the original message that I tried downloading previously successful reports that do not download now – with the same error message.  I have been using the same Survey123 form for more than 6 months and the same template.  The only thing that has changed has been the version of Connect and the version of the Survey123 website.

Thanks for responding.  I look forward to discovering and fixing the problem to downloading the reports.

0 Kudos
LeonardBarnhill
Occasional Contributor

Any progress on fixing this bug?  If not fixed, is there a work-around?  This is an issue when using ArcGIS Online, does the same thing happen with the Enterprise Portal version?

0 Kudos
LeonardBarnhill
Occasional Contributor

Progress is being made apparently... I was able to download reports in .DOC format today but still no .PDF - still get the error ConverToPDF failed.

Something new has happened that may be related.  I selected 12 reports or 16 reports, or any number more than 1 report, the names of the reports do not match what I typed in the report name field.  I back out the OID automatically populated and provide the field ${todays_date}.  What I get is the date of the first survey for every separate report plus the OID.  Since the date is not unique I understand why the OID is included but why is it not populating each report with the correct date?

This is a separate but related concern so I will be posting this as a new topic also.

0 Kudos
LeonardBarnhill
Occasional Contributor

Is there any progress on these challenges?  

• 1 - I still cannot create a PDF formatted report from the Beta website.  Now when I click "Generate" with the PDF option selected it spins for a bit the just quits - nothing happens, no error message, no new window, no reports
  • 2 - I still get all .docx reports with the same date in the name instead of dates from the individual surveys.  I have included a screenshot of the report setup on the Beta website and a screenshot of the folder after unzipping the generated file
0 Kudos
MicZatorsky
New Contributor

I've have repeated and consistent failures downloading reports. 

For example, if I attempt to print just eight records in a combined Word document it always fails to produce all eight, I'd get maybe 2 or 3.  To its credit, the app does clearly report the IDs of those that fail, so I just filter for those and try again.  Of the remaining set, some will work and others not.  Persistence pays and eventually all are printed.  I then spend more time combining them.  What should be a few minutes takes hours, and for a AEC consultancy that is a show stopper right there.

We chose not to use Survey123 reports for an airport pavement inspection survey and ground remediation survey because of the unreliability and inefficiency of the reporting service (and one that charges a cost premium in credits).  The pavement inspection survey had more than 2k records and I'm not going to request those reports in groups of 2 and 3 just to make it work.   Instead, we're using a mix of Pro map series with dynamic data, formatted Excel spreadsheets and mail-merge reports driven by the XLS.  It requires a simpler survey design but is a reliable way to get a formatted report out of Survey123

I think the idea of Survey123 reports is brilliant.  But I would only consider using it when it has the reliability of ArcGIS Online, when it always works and can export a few hundred, if not a few thousand surveys into a combined document without errors.

0 Kudos