Survey123 Report dates off by one

11-19-2018 08:34 AM
GingerHarrington
New Contributor II

I am using Survey123 for inspections.  They inspections are completed monthly and I have created the report as a Word document to print the inspection.  I have been using this data and information all year.  I have in my data 6 dates.  The date is correct in Survey123; however when I generate the report, the date shows up as 1 day earlier for October but not November.  (Example data entered as October 9 but shows up as October 8.) This error did not occur last month.  Any ideas?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
GingerHarrington
New Contributor II

My reports generated on November 2, 2018 are correct.  My reports generated on November 5 show the problem.

0 Kudos
TylerGraham2
Occasional Contributor

Is it just a Date field or a Date/Time field?  AGO feature services store time differently than locally stored data.  If you download data from AGO you will see a time shift which can affect the date you're seeing. Here in Washington State all my date/time data is advanced 8 hours when I download data, so if I have data that is collected later in the day (after 4pm), it shows the data as being collected the next day.

0 Kudos
GingerHarrington
New Contributor II

This is just a date field.  Does this have something to do with Daylight Savings?

0 Kudos
KassandraRodriguez
Occasional Contributor

Hi

I saw my days were off by one day as well, this is something recent. The one having issues is hidden but the other date I have isn't and there are no problems with it. The hidden one also has this calculation pictured below. Maybe it has to do with it being hidden?

0 Kudos
GingerHarrington
New Contributor II

Mine is not hidden.

0 Kudos
TylerGraham2
Occasional Contributor

It does appear to be a DST problem and how AGOL/report generator handles it.  I ran the generate report on a dataset of mine with a XLSForm Date field and it bumped me back to the previous day.  I played around with a new form with the date/time fields.  I think if you adjust your time a head 1 hour (+60*60*1000) in the date field it will fix your error since it will set your date time to 1am instead of 12am, preventing it from rolling back a day.  .  

Field defined as Date in XLSForm.

XLSForm date field is still date/time in the feature service.

Generate Report bumps it back to the previous day.  Sample of testing the date and time field

EricCollins
New Contributor

It could also be a UTC/local offset (time zone) issue. We're in -6/-7 Mountain time and have seen dates out by a day depending how they are stored.

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi all,

As discussed, this is related to the change from Daylight to Standard time.  Survey123 stores dates as occuring in midnight in the timezone the device occurs.  Times are stored in ArcGIS Online as UTC times; browsers automatically convert the time to the UTC offset.  Given the change to Standard time, the UTC offset of the browser shifted by one hour, causing the local midnight to become 11:00pm the previous day when viewed now.  Conversely, dates recorded in Standard time and viewed while Daylight Savings while display 1:00 am instead of midnight.

0 Kudos
GingerHarrington
New Contributor II

Thank for the insight.

I just want to clarify.

The only way to correct this situation is to create another field which is a calculated field and add an hour to the previous date field.  Then change my report to show the new calculated field rather than the date entered.

Is that correct?

0 Kudos