Survey123 repeatedly crashing upon opening from a Field Maps link

03-01-2022 05:10 PM
DustyJordan
Occasional Contributor

Hello,

I'm currently using Survey123 v3.14.237 and Field Maps v22.0.1. Myself and some of my field techs have recently started experiencing S123 crashes upon trying to open a form via link in a Field Maps pop-up. After the initial crash, opening S123 by itself (i.e. independently of Field Maps link) causes it to repeatedly crash either immediately or within 30 seconds of the app running.

After awhile I can get S123 to remain open and navigate to the form that was supposed to open via the link. I then switch back to Field Maps and the pop-up link seems to work properly, opens Survey123 and populates the form, and all crashing issues seem temporarily resolved. Has anyone else experienced this recently and know what might be causing it? 

We recently switched this workflow from Collector to Field Maps so I'm not sure if this is a bug in Field Maps, or in Survey123....or in the linkage between them. 

Thanks in advance for any help/insight!

0 Kudos
10 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @DustyJordan,

You mentioned you changed from Collector to Field Maps, as well as from 3.13 to 3.14 release of Survey123. 

Was Collector to Survey123 3.13 working ok before, and when moving to Field Maps, did that work ok with 3.13?

Is the problem only since updating to 3.14 release?

Can you provide the custom URL scheme example (the URL embedded in pop-up) and also your XLSForm (xlsx file and any media/scripts files). This will help troubleshoot further.

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
DustyJordan
Occasional Contributor

Hi Phil, 

Sorry for the delayed response. Yes, Collector was working fine for this workflow previously. I've actually been using Field Maps for awhile now too without running into this issue, but recently had all my field techs switch over to Field Maps as well. So I'm thinking it may have more to do with the S123 v3.14 update than Field Maps itself, but I'm not sure. I have my apps set to auto-update, so I'm not sure exactly when I would have made that switch. 

I've attached a copy of the xslx form and provided the URL scheme below.

Thanks!

-Dusty

arcgis-survey123://?itemID=2c3da783c1f842d4b904b381694c6cae&field:Section_GUID={GlobalID}&field:FenceName={FenceName}&field:Section={Section}&field:FenceSID={FenceSID}&field:Centroid_X={Centroid_X}&field:Centroid_Y={Centroid_Y}

ZacharySutherby
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello @DustyJordan

Thank you for passing along the XLSForm and URL you are using! I've tested on my end and am not able to reproduce a crash on my IOS or Android device. 

Are there specific values that you are using that are triggering the crash? Is there a specific device you are seeing the behavior on? 

Thank you,
Zach
0 Kudos
DustyJordan
Occasional Contributor

Hi Zach,

Thanks for taking a look at my form and URL!

I haven't had any of my field techs come to me with this issue, so I was thinking perhaps it had resolved itself...but I just tested it on my phone and I'm still experiencing crashing immediately upon trying to open Survey123 via the Field Maps pop-up URL. 

Interestingly, I just checked with a couple of our techs and they have not ran into this issue lately and both are using IOS devices. I am using an Android device (Samsung Galaxy S9), and another coworker whom I know has had this issue is also using an Android device, albeit a much newer Samsung model than mine. I'm wondering if this is an Android issue? I'm currently polling the rest of our techs to see if any other Android users are having this issue.

I don't believe it's a specific value causing the crash. I've tried using the pop-up URL from multiple different features (i.e. different values being passed) in the Field Map layer and all produce the crash. 

Thanks,

-Dusty

0 Kudos
ZacharySutherby
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello @DustyJordan

Thank you for passing this along! I had tested on a Samsung Galaxy S9 that's running Android 10 and I wasn't able to repro. We are working with a different customer on an Android crash with 3.14 on Android and in that case it looks to be a low system memory issue. After you see the app crash if you open the App Overview do you still see Survey123 in the list of apps? 

ZacharySutherby_0-1647968033749.jpeg

If so this would indicate that the device ran out of RAM and pushed Survey123 to the background. If possible would we be able to obtain a Survey123 diagnostic log when the app crashes for review? 

Please see this documentation for obtaining a Survey123 diagnostic log. You don't need to log the errors to a console just enabling logging in Survey123 will log to a local file which can then be extracted from the device. 

If it does seem to be a low memory issue, do you have other applications running on the device other then the app you are linking from and Survey123? If you close out of all other applications and only keep the app you are linking from and Survey123 open do you see the same behavior?

Thank you,
Zach
0 Kudos
DustyJordan
Occasional Contributor

Hi @ZacharySutherby,

After Survey123 crashes it is still listed in my running apps, however trying to re-open Survey123 just results in repeated crashes. I'm also not running any other apps other than Field Maps and Survey123. Interestingly, if I run Survey123 first, and then open Field Maps and follow the link from my feature pop-up, everything works fine and the feature data is passed into my survey form fields. It only crashes when attempting to run Survey123 from the pop-up URL.

One of our techs that is also running on Android and has experienced this crashing issue has reported to me that he has not had any crashes since switching to using an offline section of the map. I tried to reproduce this myself by using a downloaded offline map section, but unfortunately I'm still getting crashes with the offline map. 

I'm thinking the low memory issue is a likely culprit, and possibly device dependent? 

I've attached a couple logs. I noticed that the logging option gets toggled off whenever the app is terminated, so the first log was taken right after the crash and turning logging on. The second log was taken after opening Survey123, activating logging, and then opening from Field Maps...which worked fine with no crash. So I'm not positive if either log is going to contain information about the crash. 

Thanks again for your help looking into this!

-Dusty

0 Kudos
JayHodny
Occasional Contributor III

Hi all,

I have been having the same issue for several weeks now.  On my Android phone, Survey123 crashes when I access the application through a custom URL in a feature pop-up in my web map.  I open Field Maps, my web map, select a feature, pop-up opens, and I click on custom Survey URL.  I am returned to the pop-up.  I choose the custom URL again, and an error screen pops open.  I updated Survey123 on my phone this morning, behavior returned.  I signed out of Survey and Field Maps, signed back in to each, Survey first.  With Survey already open, I signed into Field Maps.  Accessed the web map, feature, feature popup and custom URL, and the Survey form opened as expected, passing in the field data set in the custom URL.  I selected a half dozen features, and Survey opened as expected and passed through the data to the form.  So we adjust the workflow to have Survey123 open prior to opening Field Maps?  Regards, Jay

0 Kudos
ZacharySutherby
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello @JayHodny

Thank you for passing this along! To better assist with troubleshooting may we ask a couple of things: 

- Would we be able to obtain a copy of your XLSForm and a sample URL you are using to link to Survey123?
- What specific Android devices is this behavior happening on? (Make, model, and OS version) 

- You mention an error screen, would we be able to obtain a screen capture showing what the error message is?

- If you are seeing a crash like Dusty, do you also see the app in the App Overview pane? 

- Would we be able to obtain a copy of the Survey123 diagnostic log when the issue reproduces? 

- Please see this documentation for obtaining a Survey123 diagnostic log. You don't need to log the errors to a console just enabling logging in Survey123 will log to a local file which can then be extracted from the device. 

Thank you,
Zach
0 Kudos
JayHodny
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Zachary,

Sorry for the delay, I was away from the office for the past week.

- XLS Form attached for BMP 1 inspection

- Below is the custom URL calling up Survey123 for BMP 1

JayHodny_0-1649186930609.png

BMP Inspection: <a href="arcgis-survey123://?itemID=2bd745e300284ebb91ed88479d65ae53&amp;field:facilityid={id}&amp;field:id={id}&amp;field:site_name={site_name}&amp;field:location={location}&amp;field:relatedglobalid={globalid}&amp;field:parcelid={parcelid}&amp;field:address={address}&amp;field:bmp_category={bmp_category}&amp;field:bmp_variant={bmp_variant}&amp;field:bmp_sitetype={bmp_sitetype}&amp;field:bmp_owner={bmp_owner}&amp;field:bmp_maintresp={bmp_maintresp}&amp;field:bmp_reviewer={bmp_reviewer}&amp;field:inspector_email={inspector_email}&amp;field:bmp_postconstructiondocuments={bmp_postconstructiondocuments}&amp;field:bmp_lastreviewdate={bmp_lastreviewdate}&amp;field:recipientname={recipientname}&amp;field:recipientaddress1={recipientaddress1}&amp;field:recipientaddress2={recipientaddress2}&amp;field:recipientcity={recipientcity}&amp;field:recipientstate={recipientstate}&amp;field:recipientzip={recipientzip}&amp;field:recipientemail={recipientemail}" rel="nofollow ugc" target="_blank"><b>Open Survey123<br /></b>
<hr />
</a><b>Site Type: </b>{BMP_SiteType}<b><br />Owner:</b> {BMP_Owner}<br /><b>Maintenance Responsibility:</b> {BMP_MaintResp}<br /><b>General Location:</b> {LOCATION}<br /><b>Parcel Number:</b> {ParcelID}<br /><b>Parcel Address:</b> {Address}<br /><b><hr />BMP Variant:</b> {BMP_Variant}<br /><b>BMP Configuration:</b> {BMP_Configuration}<br /><b>Last Inspection Date:</b> {BMP_LastReviewDate}<br /><b>Inspector:</b> {BMP_Reviewer}<br /><b>BMP Status/Condition:</b> {overallbmpcondition} <br /><hr /><b>Report Recipient:</b> {recipientname}

- Android device: Nokia 8 V 5G UW, Model: TA-1257, Android version: 10

- Error screenshots attached.  I wasn't sure where to find the App Overview one.

- Log attached.  I think I retrieved this correctly.

Thanks for your help, Jay

0 Kudos