Survey123 publishing error, code: 500

Jump to solution
03-27-2018 02:25 PM
JustinO_Brien
New Contributor II

I'm getting an Error getting result parameter message when attempting to publish new surveys to Portal. I can modify surveys that have already been published, but not create new ones. A folder is created as normal, but the form is absent and the feature layer is corrupt. We just upgraded ArcServer and Portal 10.6. Any insights as to what may be causing the issue would be very helpful, thank you.

31 Replies
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Christopher,

Aside from the number of questions, do you have any choice lists for single choice questions and if so, what is their size?  the number of fields and choice lists (which become domains) would be the main factor in publishing/adding fields.

This would be annoying, but are you able to add fields, say ~15 at a time?

I would also suggest filing a support ticket to investigate the performance issues with the hosted data store.

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Hi Ryan,

If you haven't before, could I ask you to file a support ticket to investigate why you need to restart the hosted data store?  That would help us improve the reliability of it in the future.

0 Kudos
RyanUthoff
Occasional Contributor III

Yes, I can do that the next time I encounter that issue. Thanks!

0 Kudos
Marie-LouLabuschagne
New Contributor III

James,

I tried to publish a new survey today and received the Error code 500.

- removed the start or end questions, but I do have type time.

- went to the ArcGIS Server Admin REST endpoint and stopped then started the PublishingToolsEx and the Publishing Tools geoprocessing service.

- Portal 10.7

- Survey123 Connect 3.7.60

This is a big survey in theme-grid pages style with 9 pages.   It has an external_choices tab with more than 40,000 address records as well as a few other smaller .csv's used in several pulldata calculations.

Thanks,

ML

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Hi Marie-Lou,

Unfortunately, code 500 is a generic error code with the ArcGIS Server.  If you could capture a log file during the publishing process, that would help try to identify what specifically is happening (See the Survey123 doc for details - you can turn on logging without connecting to a console, which will write to a file).  That being said, from your description it sounds like there may be a large number of questions - is that the case?

0 Kudos
Marie-LouLabuschagne
New Contributor III

Yes, it does have a large number of questions. I attached the captured the log file when I tried (and failed) to publish the Survey again.

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Hi Marie-Lou,

Yes, it appears there is an error in publishing the feature service- the operation that would add the fields to the layer fails.  I would suggest possibly looking into the ArcGIS Server of Data Store logs to see if a more detailed error is provided.

0 Kudos
JürgenBiendara
Occasional Contributor

Hi James,

I am on AcrGIS Enterprise 10.7.1. and Survey123 Connect 3.7.62 and encounter the same code 500 error. Restarting the "Service - PublishingToolsEx (GPServer)" didn't solve the problem. I found these entries in the log files:

Survey123 Connect

<10>1 2020-03-10T09:57:50Z NB1653 Survey123ConnectforArcGIS 26296 - [AppStudio@11205 category="PortalRequest" function="onFailed" filename="PortalRequest.qml" line="100"] PortalRequest: PortalRequest failed: url https://dev0073w.conterra.de/server_wa/rest/admin/services/Hosted/service_95e35eecfb3f41b3a16a42d948bd6271/FeatureServer/addToDefinition error {
"code": 500,
"details": [],
"message": "ERROR: Dataset not found."

ArcGIS Server

SEVERE10.03.2020 10:57:50Error executing tool. Manage Feature Service Job ID: j4f84e57a9b9c469288023ba88df9a94c : ERROR: Dataset not found. Failed to execute (Manage Feature Service).System/PublishingToolsEx.GPServer
SEVERE10.03.2020 10:57:42Error executing tool. Manage Feature Service Job ID: jc72afc4506df44d484317405deac0b3a : ERROR: Creating feature class failed. Failed to execute (Manage Feature Service).System/PublishingToolsEx.GPServer

That doesn't bring me any closer to the root of the problem. What else can I do to solve the issue? Or is this a known bug and I have to wait for an official bug-fix?

Thanks, best regards,

Jürgen

0 Kudos
HALOTrust
New Contributor II

Check to make sure you don't have duplicate field names in any of your fields.  

Jesse

JürgenBiendara
Occasional Contributor

Hello,

I need to come back to this post because one of our customers has massive problems with one of his surveys. Whatever we try, publishing of the survey finally fails with error code 500. Even after restarting the PublishingToolsEx geoprocessing service through the ArcGIS Server Admin endpoint, just after only a few seconds, we get an error code 500: Dataset not found.

Admittedly, the survey is large, it consists of 3841 net lines. Nevertheless, analysis of the problem does not render a clear picture. All field names are unique and we excluded all “secondary” questions (notes, hidden) from being published by setting the parameter “bind::esri:fieldType” to NULL.

To analyze the problem we built up the survey from scratch by adding sub-group by sub-group and trying to publish it. When publishing fails the first time with error code 500 the resulting feature layer consists of 1000+ fields and has 35 relationships (repeats).

After removing the repeat block from the lastly added group the survey could be published and 12 new fields were added to the feature layer. The same with the next block. With repeat, publishing failed, whereas without repeat, publishing was successful and added another 18 fields to the feature layer.

However, even by deleting all repeats from the groups still to be added publishing finally failed at some point.

So it seems neither the number of fields of the feature layer nor the number of its relationships is the (singular) problem. Moreover, the customer already published a survey with 58 relationships and 698 fields to the feature layer. Unfortunately, neither the message “error 500” nor the ArcGIS Server logs do help.

We tested in two different environments with different Survey123 Connect versions: 3.6.137 and 3.7.62. The behavior is the same.

Can you help with analyzing the problem and finding the root cause of the problem?

Thank you very much, best regards,

Jürgen

0 Kudos