Survey123 picture attachments in Popup

Jump to solution
07-14-2021 04:53 AM
JebDickersonLCPS
New Contributor II

Hello,

I created a Survey123 form that collects data (of course), and taking a picture is one of the requested pieces of data.

When I go to the layer the form creates, and view it in Map Viewer, the image attachment links are there, but not shown as a thumbnail.

I found the tutorial about how to show it in the popup by adding a field and then calculating that field using an Arcade expression, but when I try to do that, the message I get is...

Arcade cannot be used to calculate fields in this layer because the layer has Sync or Keep track of created and updated features enabled

My assumption is that this means that since the layer is populated by a form, and the layer, thus, must be updated every time there is a new submission, this option of calculating the field does not work. I'm unfortunately not savvy enough to know for sure if that's true, much less what to do with that bit of information. I see SQL is still an option for calculating, but I'm unsure how to do that. 

Is there a simpler way to achieve what I'm trying to achieve? Namely, to have images collected/submitted via a Survey123 form automatically appear in a popup, which I will configure to look pretty?

Thank you so much. 
Jeb

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi. The trick for this is to use the new Map Viewer to create your web map, as opposed to using the Map Viewer Classic. As shown in the screenshot below, with the new Map Viewer you can now configure images in your popup.

Popup.gif

View solution in original post

9 Replies
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi. The trick for this is to use the new Map Viewer to create your web map, as opposed to using the Map Viewer Classic. As shown in the screenshot below, with the new Map Viewer you can now configure images in your popup.

Popup.gif

DataOfficer
Occasional Contributor III

Hi @IsmaelChivite,
Is there any way to reproduce this but when the photos are attached to a related table? So the data structure is Feature layer (parent) -> related table (child) -> attachment(s) (child) ?

Thanks,
Rob

0 Kudos
JMitchell
New Contributor III

I have this same question. 

As part of the Solution for Damage Assessment, the layer for Individual Assistance data uses an associated Photo table which in turn has attachments enabled.  I cannot find any information on whether it is possible to get the images from the related Photo table's attachments to show up in the parent (Individual Assistance) layer's pop ups for use in webmaps. 

The data structure is Individual Assistance point layer (parent) -> Photo (related table) -> Photo_Attachments (attachment table for Photo table).

The parent layer also has attachments enabled, so any attachments add to the parent's attachment layer will show up in a pop up, but the attachments for the related table are inaccessible it seems, even when a join feature layer is used to join the data from the related table directly to the features of the parent.

0 Kudos
CBeck
by
New Contributor II

Did you end up figuring out how to do this? 

I have the same backwards setup from all the doco I have found and need to display inspection photos

0 Kudos
DfIRivers
Occasional Contributor

I have similar issue to original poster, and have researched using Arcade expressions to enable pop-ups to include a preview of the image rather than just a hyperlink (in WebMap (Classic))..  My WebMap (Classic) is used as the basis for a Web App Builder developed app, so switching to the new Map Viewer isn't an option.  

Other apps such as Dashboards, the new Attachment Viewer, and the new Map Viewer seem to be able to display attachments in preview mode (rather than as hyperlink), so is this not functionality that ESRI could also include with Web Map (Classic)? 

JoClarkeBega
New Contributor II

JoClarkeBega_0-1646009681420.png

I am trying the same thing. Why am I seeing this message that layer only supports list view?

Thanks very much

ChristinaMcCullough1
New Contributor II

The images are not displaying correctly in the map viewer.  You see a broken thumbnail link and not the image.  If you click on the image, a larger image appears.  

ChristinaMcCullough1_0-1653421560861.png

0 Kudos
JebDickersonLCPS
New Contributor II

That looks fantastic, thank you for the guidance. 

Cheers...

0 Kudos
JohnWatson_EBA
Occasional Contributor

@IsmaelChivite @RussRoberts any idea when this functionality will be available in Enterprise (particularly 10.9.1)?