Survey123 Name field displaying instead of label field in my data

Jump to solution
05-05-2021 07:29 AM
SummerlynBingaman
New Contributor II

Hi all,

When I submit a survey form, it seems that my name field is being displayed rather than the label field in my survey123 data. While this kind of makes sense, is there any way to change this? The drop downs in my survey displays the label however, when it submits and also goes to the web map, the data and pop-ups display the ugly name values. 

The weird part is when I click the record in my data (shown in the first picture below), the panel to the right displays what I want. I can go in and manually change this however, so many records come in at once for me to be able to handle it all.

SummerlynBingaman_0-1620224761966.png

Below picture: (name column is in the middle and the label column is to the right)

SummerlynBingaman_1-1620224856033.png

Anything helps, thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi.  If the Survey123 select_one question has an associated geodatabase domain, you will see the label in both the Survey123 website as well as in other ArcGIS apps.  If there is no geodatabase domain associated to the question, then you will see the name, except if Survey123 renders the form.

Survey123 automatically creates a domain for select_one questions, except if you use a choice filter. For example:

IsmaelChivite_0-1620230011552.png

For the country question you will see always labels because a domain will be created. The actual value stored in the database is the country code, but you will see the label because the domain does the mapping of values to labels across all ArcGIS apps.

The cities question is different, because it has a choice_filter.   Select_one questions with choice filters typically have many choices, so Survey123 will not create a domain (large domains in ArcGIS can be problematic). For this reason, you will see the name rather than the label, except if you use the Survey123 web or field apps to display the data.

Understanding all the above, you can do the following to store the label:

1- Add a new calculate column and use the jr:choice-name function to extract the label

2- Optionally set the select_one field type to null so the code is not stored in the database

Attaching the XLSFile so you can see the whole thing.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
AllisonHollier
New Contributor III

Can't wait to hear the answer to this.  I'm following!  I've had the same issue when pulling feature reports.  I'm pulling the absolute value ($clsegname) in the title of my form and of course, I'm getting the name (variable) and not the label.  But that's not what I want, I want the nice little list item label.

0 Kudos
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi.  If the Survey123 select_one question has an associated geodatabase domain, you will see the label in both the Survey123 website as well as in other ArcGIS apps.  If there is no geodatabase domain associated to the question, then you will see the name, except if Survey123 renders the form.

Survey123 automatically creates a domain for select_one questions, except if you use a choice filter. For example:

IsmaelChivite_0-1620230011552.png

For the country question you will see always labels because a domain will be created. The actual value stored in the database is the country code, but you will see the label because the domain does the mapping of values to labels across all ArcGIS apps.

The cities question is different, because it has a choice_filter.   Select_one questions with choice filters typically have many choices, so Survey123 will not create a domain (large domains in ArcGIS can be problematic). For this reason, you will see the name rather than the label, except if you use the Survey123 web or field apps to display the data.

Understanding all the above, you can do the following to store the label:

1- Add a new calculate column and use the jr:choice-name function to extract the label

2- Optionally set the select_one field type to null so the code is not stored in the database

Attaching the XLSFile so you can see the whole thing.

SummerlynBingaman
New Contributor II

Thank you Ismael!!!

0 Kudos
EricaNova
Occasional Contributor

Thanks! I couldn't figure out why this wasn't happening. My choice list is very short (only 6 choices). It would be lovely if Survey123 could assess the length of the choice list and create the domain if the list was shorter than a given number. Then warn user when being published if it could not create the domain.

I created the domain manually in AGOL and the choice labels showed up nicely. Hope there is no issue with this (other than needing to manually update the list if it changes). 

0 Kudos
AllisonHollier
New Contributor III

Most helpful, thank you!

0 Kudos
riddlz
by
New Contributor

Running into this issue currently, however it is with a select_one_from_file question. I published my survey in 123 connect, and when viewing the data in the Survey123 website or in any dashboards, the name field is displayed instead of the label.  I tried to follow the solution from this post, using the calculation field, setting the bind type to null,  and using the jr:choice-name function to extract/display the label from the select_one_from_file question but to no avail. 

Any help on this is greatly appreciated! 

0 Kudos