Survey123 - Issue with Select_one list & Choice

Jump to solution
06-19-2020 09:39 AM
RamprasadR
New Contributor

Hi,

I have 2 questions in Survey123 as follows.

1) Using "select_one" type to filter the plot numbers based on village list. While listing, plot numbers are listed with one decimal digit as shown below. In the choice tab, plot numbers are not having any decimal digit with plot number.

Can you suggest the option to control the list of plot numbers with out decimal digit. attached XLS form for ref.

2) As the plot list is going to be huge, created a external choice sheet. but it is not taking. Hence, updated in Choice  sheet as well. is it required to update in both the sheet.?

Thanks,

Sanjeevi

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ZacharySutherby
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello Sanjeevi

In taking a look at the XLSForm it seems that the labels were not formatted text even though they looked like they were. 

When I would double click on the label it would pop to the right-hand side of the cell indicating they were numeric. In a separate column I had used the function =TEXT(<cell>,"0") to convert the numbers into integers. Documentation link

I then copied the text cells and pasted them back into the column they were supposed to be and they worked as expected. 

For your second question, the documentation says "External selects are designed to work with choice lists associated with a cascading select only. Only choices with an applied choice filter will be added to the itemsets.csv file." 

This means that external selects are designed to work in conjunction with cascading selects. The external_choices tab is not invoked until there is at least one select_one question with a choice_filter. 

Please use James's comment here for reference: https://community.esri.com/thread/214070-external-select-lists#comment-768979 

What I had done to modify your survey was to move the villagename choice list to the choices tab but kept the plot number choices on the external_choices list. 

I then saw an issue where the plotnumber question was grey and did not have any choices. This was because in the same documentation linked above in the cascading selects section it says that values used in the name field of the choices sheet must be text and not numeric. 

I had changed the name of the villagename choices to a,b,c,d,e for example and once I did that the form worked as expected. Please find attached a copy of the XLSForm. 

Thank you, 

Zach 

Thank you,
Zach

View solution in original post

3 Replies
ZacharySutherby
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello Sanjeevi

In taking a look at the XLSForm it seems that the labels were not formatted text even though they looked like they were. 

When I would double click on the label it would pop to the right-hand side of the cell indicating they were numeric. In a separate column I had used the function =TEXT(<cell>,"0") to convert the numbers into integers. Documentation link

I then copied the text cells and pasted them back into the column they were supposed to be and they worked as expected. 

For your second question, the documentation says "External selects are designed to work with choice lists associated with a cascading select only. Only choices with an applied choice filter will be added to the itemsets.csv file." 

This means that external selects are designed to work in conjunction with cascading selects. The external_choices tab is not invoked until there is at least one select_one question with a choice_filter. 

Please use James's comment here for reference: https://community.esri.com/thread/214070-external-select-lists#comment-768979 

What I had done to modify your survey was to move the villagename choice list to the choices tab but kept the plot number choices on the external_choices list. 

I then saw an issue where the plotnumber question was grey and did not have any choices. This was because in the same documentation linked above in the cascading selects section it says that values used in the name field of the choices sheet must be text and not numeric. 

I had changed the name of the villagename choices to a,b,c,d,e for example and once I did that the form worked as expected. Please find attached a copy of the XLSForm. 

Thank you, 

Zach 

Thank you,
Zach
RamprasadR
New Contributor

Thanks Zachary Sutherby for your detailed mail. Thanks a lot.

While go thur the process, found another potential requirement to fulfill.

As per XLS Form given, There are around 10,000 Plots to be surveyed in the respective villages in the reality.

Approx. 30 Surveyors would be working on the same Survey123 App. Every Surveyor will get some set of villages and respective plots for surveying.

In each Village, around 100 to 150 plots are available to survey. There is a higher chances of getting the data repeated for the same Plot multiple times by same surveyor or others.

Is there any way to control the Plot Number not to be available in the Plot Drop down , if Plot number is already surveyed and submitted back to feature service.

This would help a lot on this.

Thanks,

Sanjeevi

0 Kudos
RamprasadR
New Contributor

James Tedrick
Hi,

Any one had chance to look at the Above mentioned requirement tobe fulfilled in Survey123.

Appreciate your support.

Thanks

Sanjeevi 

0 Kudos