Survey123 is it possible to upload original resolution photos?

12-27-2017 01:30 PM
MichaelMerriman
New Contributor

My survey staff has to take pictures of labels that have lots of detailed information. When they are uploaded to Survey123 much of the photos become lower resolution and lots of the information is too blurry to read. Is there a way to have the original photo size uploaded?

0 Kudos
24 Replies
GIS_Administratorat_RWE
New Contributor III

Hi Johnathan Hasthorpe‌ - same problem here, the image quality of photos taken with Survey 123 is not as good as of those taken with the Galaxy S7 camera app. We've set unrestricted in Survey 123 Connect, but the difference in quality seems to come from the JPEG compression (values derived from IrfanView):

Comparison:  Survey 123   /   S7 camera app

Size:   3024 x 4032 (12.19 MPixels)   /   2268 x 4032 (9.14 MPixels)

Compression:   JPEG, quality: 75, subsampling ON (2x2)   /   JPEG, quality: 96, subsampling ON (2x1)

Disk size:   884.37 KB   /   3.18 MB

For inspection documentation the loss of detail information is not satisfactory. Will it be possible to enhance the compression quality in future releases?

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hello,

Changing the JPEG Compression level (or have it author-defined) is a potential enhancement that can be considered for Survey123.  Could I ask that you file a formal enhancement with Esri Tech Support or post this in https://ideas.arcgis.com? 

0 Kudos
GIS_Administratorat_RWE
New Contributor III

Thanks James, I've addressed this to Tech Support and created a new idea: https://community.esri.com/ideas/17687 .

0 Kudos
SamanthaFox
New Contributor

I'm curious if anything has come from this. The photo compression is a big problem for my current survey. My camera can collect 2MB photos, but the photos collected through Survey123 are around 0.5 MB.

0 Kudos
ChrissySeabourne
New Contributor

I am also interested if anything has come of this.  Photos taken within Survey123 are unsatisfactory.  We are having to take them separately using the ipad camera app, then upload to survey123.  

0 Kudos