Survey123 is it possible to upload original resolution photos?

12-27-2017 01:30 PM
MichaelMerriman
New Contributor

My survey staff has to take pictures of labels that have lots of detailed information. When they are uploaded to Survey123 much of the photos become lower resolution and lots of the information is too blurry to read. Is there a way to have the original photo size uploaded?

0 Kudos
24 Replies
JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Michael

Yes this is possible. By default the images are saved at medium resolution (640 pixels on the longest edge). But you can increase this in Connect under settings=>Images

There is an option to save the images in the their native resolution (Unrestricted). You will need to republish the survey once the setting is changed.

Thanks

John

MichaelMerriman
New Contributor

Thank you John, very helpful.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Unfortunately this is not working for me. I have 'unrestricted' selected in image settings; I then republished my survey, but I am still not getting the original full size image. The saved image is 1920x1080 (2mp), but I would like it to be my ipad mini 4's full size 8mp image of 3264x2448. The only way I've found to have survey123 collect the native image size is to take the photo with the ipad's camera app and then within survey123 tap the folder icon to import the photo into the survey.

Is there something else I can try to enable the photo taken within the survey to save at the device's native resolution?

0 Kudos
JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Colin - I have raised this as a bug as I was able to replicate the behaviour.

The only workaround is take a photo using the native camera app and then add it as an attachment to the survey (as you described). I'll update this post when I have more information.

Thanks

John

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi John. Thanks for the update and I look forward to this getting fixed eventually.

ShanaGail1
Occasional Contributor

Hi John,

When set to Medium, the images were too grainy to read handwriting on forms, gauges, serial numbers, etc.  I set it to Large and it "seemed" nominally better although I am still trying to get the exact same photo at the exact same distance to compare apples to apples as I write this.  Unrestricted did look better.  However, my survey blew up after I took the picture before I could submit it.  I was using an iPhone 6.  I did get the message when I brought the app back up (it was running in the background) and I was able to successfully submit it.  I had surveys do this when I had attached many photos using a Medium size, and also when I had answered a boatload of questions while testing.  Have you seen problems with the survey crashing due to Unrestricted image size?

Thanks,

Shana

0 Kudos
ShanaGail1
Occasional Contributor

I meant to say that I got the message that the survey had been recovered, not just "I got the message". 

0 Kudos
JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Shana - I was not able to replicate this issue.

Can you confirm the iOS version you are using and share your survey (if this is not the one you shared with me already).

Thanks

John

0 Kudos
ShanaGail1
Occasional Contributor

Hi John,

It was the same survey with a few enhancements.  However, the users did some testing with the size set to Large and found the images significantly better.  We didn't need to go with Unrestricted... sorry about not getting back to this conversation sooner.  I'll not pursue the issue further at this time.  Thanks for your help though!

Shana