Survey123 Inbox Refresh not responding

Jump to solution
05-05-2021 04:14 PM
SamanthaGriffore
Occasional Contributor

I'm working with Survey123 version 3.12.277 and receiving complaints from field users that the Refresh button in the Inbox has started not functioning as expected. User says that they hit refresh and all their data disappeared. With testing, I noticed the same issue on my device, except if I kept hitting Refresh (up to 6-7 times) it would eventually refresh. I could not replicate this every time, and in some cases could not get the Inbox to Refresh at all. This issue is happening on multiple surveys.

Is this a known bug/version issue? Any advice to help me troubleshoot?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
17 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @FMBAdmin,

Yes, this issue should have been resolved and released in the 3.13 September update. Changes were made to resolve the Inbox refresh button hanging and being able to be pressed more than once when querying large datasets. Several customers provided positive feedback that the issue was resolved in their case who had originally reported the problem.

If you are still having a similar issue, can you provide a screen recording and ensure you are using latest 3.13 release, and also test with the 3.14 beta builds available on EAC.

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
FMBAdmin
New Contributor III

Hi @Anonymous User ,

I thought that was the case which is why I'm surprised it's still happening. I've attached a screen recording of the crash in 3.13 and 3.14. Both seem to refresh for about 45 seconds and then crash about a minute in on both videos. Is it our service perhaps? 

Thanks!

Morgan 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @FMBAdmin,

Thanks for the video recordings. I see you are use the Map tab to refresh the Inbox, which also includes a spatial query on top of the WHERE clause query that you may have specified in Connect.

If you refresh the Inbox on the List tab, does it work without crashing (ie no spatial query included)? Are you using a WHERE clause query for this survey, if so, if you remove the WHERE clause and try to return all results in the layer, does it work without crash in both List and Map tabs?

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
FMBAdmin
New Contributor III

Hi @Anonymous User , thanks for the response. There is currently no WHERE clause on the test version of this survey for simplicity sake. However, on the production version, there will be a WHERE clause to distinguish records for each of our land offices (there will be 17 total surveys hitting the same feature service, the max records ever being called being about 5,100 out of the 30,000).

I tried the List tab refresh on both Survey 123 3.13 & 3.14 for desktop in Windows as well as S123 3.13 and 3.14 on my iPad and iPhone (iOS 15). I got slightly different behavior in both platforms. I tried this with and without the 'Spatial Filter when Map tab is Visible' option and the same behavior with both settings occurred.

In both Windows desktop versions of S123, a list tab refresh will start and the app will get hung up about a minute in (shows 'Not Responding'). I didn't quit either the 3.13 or 3.14 app, but I let them both sit for another five minutes and eventually all inbox records refreshed (~8,000). This hang up while calling the records happened in both 3.13 and 3.14. Is this expected behavior?

However, on the iPad and iPhone, the list tab refresh of the inbox caused a crash in both 3.14 and 3.13. When I reopen S123, there are no records in the inbox. In theory, our users would go open their respective survey, hit the list tab refresh, and have all records available to them for update. 

I am not sure if it's our complex service or an iOS issue or both? I can email the logs if you'd like, not sure how helpful they may be. 

Thanks for any insight! I am really hoping to figure out a solution before our field season ramps up here shortly. 

-Morgan 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @FMBAdmin,

I think it will be best to raise this as an Esri Support issue, so the analyst can work with you to gather all the relevant information about the feature service and layer, possible a copy of the data to be able to reproduce, or set up a user account that has access to be able to reproduce. Also a copy of the logs and any other important information. Without this it will be hard to troubleshoot further via this forum.

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
KrisOlsson
New Contributor II

I'm having a (possibly related) issue: 

The inbox for my survey will not refresh on iPhones ONLY, either by clicking and holding the refresh button or by pulling the screen down to refresh the page. The inbox/refresh functions works fine on Androids. 

I have tested this on 4 iPhones, with the same result: when you try to refresh, it says "Getting service information" and the surveys never load. 

To complicate matters: our organization uses Survey123 for a number of programs. The inbox/refresh function for  all of the other surveys we have developed work fine on iPhones, so it seems to be a survey specific issue that is only impacting iPhone users.

Thoughts? 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @KrisOlsson,

This sounds like a different issue. The one mentioned above is related to the Refresh button not activating when pressed, wheras from your description it sounds like the button activates straight away, but gets stuck on gettnig service information. This is usually related to issues with accessing the feature service or permissions/sharing changes.

Can you delete the application and re-install on those devices, and also install the latest 3.12 version from app store, as well as download the survey from the org again.

Phil.

0 Kudos
KrisOlsson
New Contributor II

Hi Phil, 

Thank you for your responses! I was able to solve the issue - turns out it was all linked to the way that my feature layers had been shared across my organization, rather than an issue with the app itself.