Survey123 images came back blank

03-04-2022 04:34 PM
the-nomad
New Contributor II

Any ideas? Just had someone run a survey today in the field and all of the images came back blank. I tried manually downloading each (gave me a 10x10 pixel white box). I tried running a report (error). Screenshot of what I'm seeing in the Survey123 online panel:

thenomad_0-1646440128766.png

I also tried exporting the record into a GDB and opening that in Pro. Look at this attribute table: there are 68 images here, I just don't know how to open them! It would be very expensive to send someone back to get this data... any ideas on how I could access the images via Windows Explorer or other?

thenomad_1-1646440254967.png

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
ZacharySutherby
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello @the-nomad

If you navigate to your data in your ArcGIS organization, on the data tab you will be able to view attachments, do you see the attachments in that location: 

ZacharySutherby_0-1646694544927.png

If you select the link for the image does the image display in the web browser? 

Please also see this link for reference on viewing attachments in ArcGIS Pro

Thank you,
Zach
0 Kudos
the-nomad
New Contributor II

Hi Zach,

I got a similar result. When I click on any of the 48 attachments listed in the data tab, I get a roughly 10x10 pixel white square as shown in my screenshot:

There are images varying from 300kb to 900kb in size that all render this way. Something does seem off that the sizes are so small. I'm guessing this is error on the phone itself that captured the data?

thenomad_0-1646703909216.png

0 Kudos
ZacharySutherby
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello @the-nomad

Thank you for checking that! The issue does definitely seem to be with the attachment associated with the feature service. 

I would suggest opening an Esri Technical Support case to have them take a look at the feature service. 

Were all attachments submitted through the Survey123 field app? If you submit a new test record with images does the same behavior happen with those images? Is this the case for all records in the feature service or just one specific record? 

Thank you,
Zach
0 Kudos
the-nomad
New Contributor II

It's definitely a hardware issue, I just got another survey back with all images intact. All images were submitted through the field app... It was for all records in the feature.

0 Kudos
GarethBaker1
Occasional Contributor III

Did you get anywhere resolving the specific hardware issue here? I've got the same problem coming from one specific user who had previously been able to submit image attachments on the survey ok. For the last few months all their images have been coming though as white/blank with a resolution of 360x634 and a file size of 4.3kb.

GarethBaker1_0-1650883880216.pngGarethBaker1_1-1650883984519.png

They're based some distance away so it's difficult for me to get a look at their device. They say that they've uninstalled and reinstalled the Survey123 app but perhaps it needs a full factory reset of the device to fix?

the-nomad
New Contributor II

Hey totally forgot to come back to this, no we never got it fixed. The devices aren't mine and the users live hundreds of miles away so it's hard to troubleshoot something like this. My best guess is it's a low-end android without much hard drive space and it just couldn't save the images to disk before uploading. We've only seen this error once.

0 Kudos