Select to view content in your preferred language

Survey123 Form Error

Jump to solution
05-07-2019 02:30 PM
EricShreve
Occasional Contributor II

I recently encountered an error that I am not finding a solution for when I attempt to open a form on Survey123. I attached the two error images that I am seeing. I also downloaded the survey content in Survey123 Connect and it looks there is not data in the excel spreadsheet. The survey and feature service data still exists on AGOL which tells me that the Survey still technically exists but the theme tells me something may have been corrupted. Any help would be appreciated.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
EricShreve

Brandon,

I was able to resolve the issue by overwriting the "My Survey Designs" folder with a previous copy that I had saved locally. Moral of the story save backups of the whole content file of S123 in some location in case you have to replicate it.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
BrandonArmstrong
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Eric,

Which items do you see available in the survey folder in 'My Content'?

Has anything been moved outside of the folder?  You should see a feature layer, form item, and depending on whether the survey has been shared or not, a fieldworker view and/or a stakeholder view.

EricShreve

Brandon,

This is what my current folder looks like for the Survey. I should also add that I deleted a Microsoft Webhook this morning from the Survey and that is when things performed unexpectedly.

Thanks,

Eric

0 Kudos
EricShreve

Brandon,

I was able to resolve the issue by overwriting the "My Survey Designs" folder with a previous copy that I had saved locally. Moral of the story save backups of the whole content file of S123 in some location in case you have to replicate it.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Glad to hear you were able to resolve it Eric.

Just to expand upon what Brandon was saying for other readers, in most cases when we publish a survey it creates content in ArcGIS Online - specifically a folder called 'Survey-Survey Name', and inside it a Hosted Feature Layer and Form that are also called 'Survey Name'. See attached photo for an example where my survey is (rather lazily) called 'Form 2'.

When we make changes through the Survey123 website, it references this content and updates it accordingly. For example, if we update sharing - the form and layer items in ArcGIS Online will have their sharing updated.  When we share for Viewers, it creates a Hosted View Layer in the same folder.

While we can utilize these items to our benefit in ArcGIS Online (i.e. add View Layer to a Web Map / Ops Dashboard) we have to be careful not to modify the content in such a way that would disrupt the Survey123 platform.
Errors like the one from your screenshot are often associated with content modification - e.g. i f we updated sharing for the form in ArcGIS Online but not the Hosted Feature Layer (leaving it at private), it would allow users to download the survey form in the Survey123 field app but fail on submission as the users could not access the target Hosted Feature Layer. 

On this line of thought, did we rename the Hosted Feature Layer in ArcGIS Online?

Or move it outside of (or rename) the default survey folder created on publish?

EricShreve

Chris,

Thanks for the information on some of the potential issues that would arise if manipulating the content in the S123 Folder in AGOL. I created the survey under my account and transferred the survey, as well as the feature service layers to another account under my organization for sharing purposes. I think ultimately manipulating the webhook configuration in S123 caused the survey to respond with errors.

Either way I think this solution is a good fail over if a failure occurs. 

Thanks,

Eric

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

We can transfer ownership of content, just make sure that a folder of the same name is created and the form + Hosted Feature Layer placed within.

I haven't seen WebHooks cause issues like this before.