Survey123 for Damage Costs

Jump to solution
02-23-2018 09:31 AM
LindsayMcClintock
New Contributor II

Hello, I have this form in excel to assess damage to signal lights and I would like to have this in Survey123 so the damage can be recorded in the field. Does anyone know if there is a way to set Survey123 up to allow me to fill in the quantity and have the cost update automatically? Thanks much! (I haven't posted before so please let me know if I need to share more information.)

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Lindsay,

This can be accomplished in Survey123.  If you have relatively fixed prices, you can encode the calculation directly in the form (see the Excel attachment).  A slightly more flexible option is to have the item order section as a repeated section; you can then store the individual items prices as a CSV file associated with the survey and look the prices up; after the user chooses the item, the unit price is looked up and the cost can be calculated (see the zipped form attachment).

View solution in original post

3 Replies
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Lindsay,

This can be accomplished in Survey123.  If you have relatively fixed prices, you can encode the calculation directly in the form (see the Excel attachment).  A slightly more flexible option is to have the item order section as a repeated section; you can then store the individual items prices as a CSV file associated with the survey and look the prices up; after the user chooses the item, the unit price is looked up and the cost can be calculated (see the zipped form attachment).

LindsayMcClintock
New Contributor II

Thank you so much for the quick response! Very helpful!

0 Kudos
DeonLengton
Esri Contributor

Hi Lindsay

If your list of items is also "static" then you can have a repeat that goes through all your items from top to bottom... so the repeat will step through all the parts and let the user capture the quantities if applicable. That way they wont accidentally skip an item but will be forced to go through the whole list.

I wrote a blog about this "trick" and you can view it here:

https://esri-southafrica.blog/2017/12/14/survey123-with-a-single-attribute-for-repeating-generic-que...

0 Kudos