Survey123 File Browse displayed as text

01-29-2021 06:37 AM
MikeDeBoer
New Contributor II

Hello,

I am working on a Survey123 app that will allow users to upload file paths without having to attach the file.  Currently if you have a file link, it will upload the file and you lose the path information.  The file URL becomes the service URL.  (aka https://services1.arcgis.com vs //fileserver/filepath)

The end goal is to display the file path location in an email that is automatically generated.  Basically, I want the ability to browse for the file but have it display as text. Having this function will allow my uses to send a link to large images, files, etc. 

Thanks,

Mike DeBoer

3 Replies
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Mike. What you describe is not possible in Survey123.  If you choose the File question type, the app takes your file and uploads it into ArcGIS.  I think the alternative is to use a simple text question where people can paste the full path.  I understand you would like to browse for the file to streamline the process, but it is just not possible. Sorry.

MikeDeBoer
New Contributor II

Thanks Ismael for the response.  Do you think this would be something ESRI would add to Survey123? Potentially call it a 'Path' attribute?

The text box is our current workflow but I have been getting complaints about it.  If you can think of any other potential workarounds, I am game to test.

Thanks again,

-MD

0 Kudos
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Mike. I suggest you create and ArcGIS idea under the Survey123 category for consideration. Let's see how much interest can the idea drive.  We do our best to implement the most popular ideas.  I totally see the pain and many errors people could make while constructing the paths but at the same time, I am not sure how much of a common workflow this is. Lets try to find out with the new idea. Thanks!