Survey123 exporting name rather than label

12-06-2017 03:39 PM
GarretDubois
New Contributor II

I have a field in my survey that is showing the information in the name column rather than the label column when the data is viewed in survey123 for ArcGIS, or exported from survey123 to AGOL.

There are other rows that are similar in the survey but are showing up correctly in the data tables when viewed in survey123 for ArcGIS.

Question 1. Does anyone know why this is happening?

Question 2. Is there a way to fix this problem?

0 Kudos
34 Replies
LeaHarper3
New Contributor III

Hi John,

We are not using choice_filter in the survey. I've been informed that this current release of Survey123 doesn't allow for select_one to work on existing feature services that don't have predefined domains. https://community.esri.com/thread/216960-survey123-feature-service-listing-name-not-label-in-web-map... 

0 Kudos
ShanaGail1
Occasional Contributor

Hi John,

I'm not very clear at this point if my issue is exactly the same as Lea's.  When you read through my reproduction steps, does it sound like it?

Thanks,

Shana

@Leah Harper

0 Kudos
ShanaGail1
Occasional Contributor

Sorry about the misspelling of your name Lea...  that's how my Mom spells it.  Habit .

0 Kudos
ShanaGail1
Occasional Contributor

The resolution for me was to upgrade both the field app and Survey123 Connect to the newest versions.  It worked, but the analyst in me wanted to know why...

hgaignard
Esri Contributor

Hi Johnathan Hasthorpe‌,

When choice_filter used, the name text is saved as the data value, instead of the label text.

This know limitation will be fixed ? 

Thanks

FYI Jean-Marie DULISCOUET‌ 

0 Kudos
JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

Hugo GAIGNARD  we have this open as a bug and hope to address this in a future release: BUG-000106578 - When choice_filter used, the name text is saved as the data value, instead of the label text.

I will update this post with any developments.

Thanks

John

0 Kudos
LorettaWinton1
New Contributor III

Hello Jonathan,

Has this issue yet been addressed and fixed?

Thanks,

Lori

0 Kudos
LorettaWinton1
New Contributor III

Alternatively, is there some work around via Arcade or something like that. I suppose it would be ideal if we could have a column that stores the value in the name field and another column that stores the associated label.

Can you think of a way to achieve that?

Thanks!

Lori

0 Kudos
JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Lorretta and Lea

There have been a few related issues covered in this thread. So I'm thinking that you are talking about existing feature services without domains and labels not appearing. At the moment we don't have a workaround for this.

Yes, you could use Arcade to address this issue. Here is a blog to get this working with select_multiple questions. This can be easily modified to get working with select_ones:: https://community.esri.com/groups/survey123/blog/2018/10/10/labels-for-multiple-choice-questions-usi... 

Hi Shana

To summarise, you are not using choice filters and not using existing feature services that lack domains.

Therefore the labels for select one questions should be displayed when the feature service is viewed in a web map or the survey123 website. Can you confirm what you are seeing? I thought an update to Survey123 fixed your original issue?

Thanks

John

0 Kudos
MichelleWilliams1
Occasional Contributor III

I am also having an issue with names showing instead of labels in my ForeignImprovementType2 field, and I'm not using the choice filter. I've included my .xlsx file minus the propitiatory data. I'd appreciate your help.

0 Kudos