Survey123 Edit and Resend Not Working for Certain Fields

09-24-2019 08:13 AM
PatrickKent1
New Contributor II

Hello,

I created a survey that allows for the mobile user to edit and resend a previous submission from the Sent box on their mobile collection device. However, when you open the submitted survey for edits, some of the fields are grayed out and cannot be edited. Some specific issues are below:

• Cannot edit signature question. (I have read that image questions cannot be edited once submitted, but ESRI is working to correct this soon.)
  • Repeat questions, can add additional repeats but cannot delete or even edit current entries
  • Certain multiple choice questions

These limitations pretty much undermine the point of having an "edit and resend" option. Consequently our organization is resorting to use the alternative to create a new survey based on the previous submission. This allows for full editing of all previous questions except image attachments and signature question which are wiped. Also this method requires the survey author to go into the data records and delete the original submission to avoid having duplicates. In summary, this approach is far from ideal and I would like to know if there is a setting change I can make to the survey to "unlock" all of the questions for edits from the Sent box.

Thanks,

PK

0 Kudos
4 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi PK,

The editing of attachments (image, audio, signature) is not currently supported in the Survey123 field app via the Inbox or Sent box. This is high on our priority list and a frequently requested feature enhancement (you will find many other posts about it if you search GeoNet). We aim to support this in the future, however a current workaround would be to use a repeat (related table) where a new attachment can be added via an add record (not edit). I would encourage you to submit an enhancement request via Esri Support, so our Support team can assign you an official enhancement number and link it to similar requests from other customers, which helps us assess demand for the enhancement and prioritize it accordingly.

Secondly, to enable the editing of repeats you need to ensure you have specified the correct bind::esri:parameter on the begin repeat question in your xlsx form. ie: "query allowUpdates=true". By default allowUpdates is false. More information can be found here: Prepare for editing existing survey data—Survey123 for ArcGIS | ArcGIS 

As for your third issue regarding certain multiple choice questions, are these select one or select multiple questions and are they inside or outside of a repeat? There should be no difference with select one and select multiple questions when it comes to editing via Inbox and Sent box provided the correct parameters and settings have been used. If you are still having issues, please share your xlsx file so we can take a look.

Regards,

Phil.

PatrickKent1
New Contributor II

Phil,

Thank you for your response. I was able to set the edit parameter successfully for the repeats using the parameter code. Also the multiple choice questions is a non-issue. It turns out they were associated with the repeats and I did not realize.

The limitation on attachments is indeed a strange gap in the functionality but I am glad to hear that it is being worked on. We went ahead and submitted an enhancement request. Hopefully that will be corrected soon.

Thank you for your help!

PK

entegroIreland
New Contributor III

HI, has this issue been resolved withbeing able to edit and resend a completed survey that already has photos, mandatory questions answered in it?

RodellZorilla
Occasional Contributor

Hello Patrick, have you had any luck with some fields not editable after submission? I also have setbind::esri:parameter with "query allowUpdates=true". 

I have a "file" question type which allows users to batch upload files. However, when re-editing the record after submission, the "file" question type is not available anymore. The Image question type however is available, and users are able to attach new photos when re-editing an already submitted record. 

I hope you've found a workaround/solution. I appreciate any input! Thank you!

0 Kudos