Survey123 crashes when multiple select one questions answered within a repeated group

04-30-2018 08:04 AM
DanielKonzek
Occasional Contributor

I have 2 surveys that include multiple (up to 40) select one questions within a repeated group.  Both of these surveys are used to count species occurrence.  A user selects a species from a list (select one) and then enters the number of observances for that species.  When 5 or more species are selected and the user taps the '+' sign in order to repeat the group of species questions at a new location Survey123 crashes.  This takes place with versions 2.4 - 2.7 of Survey123 for iOS and desktop. 

When a user first goes back to a previous repeated record and then taps the "+" sign the app does not crash.  This is not a feasible work around when your first repeated record contains more than 5 species.  

I believe this issue is addressed in BUG-000111086.

Any suggestions for a fix?

Thank you,

Dan

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Dan

Can you share your survey xls and the details of the device you are using?

That way we can try to replicate the behaviour and confirm if it is a result of: BUG-000111086.

Thanks

John

0 Kudos
DanielKonzek
Occasional Contributor

Hi John,

We are experiencing crashing on various iOS.  I am currently testing on an iPad Air with Survey123 version 2.7.  

I will need to email you my xls.  What is the best email for me to send it to?

Thank you very much for your assistance,

Dan

0 Kudos
JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Dan

Thanks for the survey - I was able to replicate the issue and it looks to the same bug.

It is possible to stop the crash by removing the relevant statements inside the repeat. Because each one is doing a string-length calculation, this freed up some memory. Not ideal, but it will allow submission until we have a fix.

Thanks

John

0 Kudos
DanielKonzek
Occasional Contributor

Hi John,

Thank you for the workaround.  I reformatted my survey to have a 'pages' style, put all of the species questions onto one page, and then grouped the 40 species questions into groups of 10.  This way there was only 4 relevant statements.  This seemed to work.  It is still not ideal, but will allow us to continue to use Survey123 until the bug is fixed.

Thanks again,

Dan

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @DanielKonzek,

Just letting you know we have recently updated the 3.14 beta builds on the Early Adopter Community and the next release will include major improvements to the expression calculation engine, new calculation modes, improvements to loading relevant questions and repeats, and other fixes to repeats, nested repeats and repeat count. With these improvements we see faster loading surveys, increased stability, less crashes and ability to optimize calculation workflows.

The issue you reported above with your survey crashing when adding a new repeat and using relevant statements should now be resolved with latest 3.14 beta builds.

Please refer to this blog post for more details: https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-blog/arcgis-survey123-3-14-beta-is-now-available-for/...

Direct link to EAC announcement: https://earlyadopter.esri.com/project/article/item.html?cap=e69ef91f45744b98882c651f7b518eb7&arttype...

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos