Survey123 Connect PullData Question

Jump to solution
01-02-2019 06:26 AM
JeffDavis7
Occasional Contributor

Hello,

I have attached a copy of my working form in Survey123 Connect (please see attached Meter Change Form.xlsx).  I would like to use "pulldata" to auto-populate the form for our field staff.

The workflow for the user will be the following:  a user will physically enter the old meter number in the form while they are in the field and in-turn this action will auto-fill the Address, Account Number, Route# and Seq# information into the form originating from a CSV file.

I have created a CSV data table located in the following directory "C:\Users\JDavis\ArcGIS\My Survey Designs\Meter Change Form\media\ entitled "Yukon121718" (please see attached with corresponding name).

Through a few online postings I was able to start constructing a PullData facsimile (please see PullData.xlsx).  I am not sure of the "note" type in my table since I am looking to auto-populate established fields.  

My questions:

1.  Can someone please review my PullData table and provide advice on the correct structure corresponding to my data?

2.  In addition, can someone assist me, once the PullData table has been proofed, in taking the PullData information and integrating into my Meter Change Form in the correct location?

3.  Using the "Open survey content folder" I accessed my Yukon121718 CSV file.  Am I correct to assume that doing this action integrates this CSV file with my form and allows users in the field access to its contents?  Only asking since the file is located on my C:\ drive.

Thank you in advance for any assistance and advice you can supply.

Jeff

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JeffDavis7
Occasional Contributor

Hi James,

Thank you so much for replying to my inquiry.

I've posted updates to both the PullData form and my CSV file.  I removed all commas in the Address column as you indicated and resaved the CSV file.

Could you please open and review the PullData form?

I modified the "type" in my PullData form to correspond to what the questions are in my Meter Change Form (decimal and text).

I have corrected $(field) to be ${field}.

Could you possibly markup my PullData form by providing some examples of your suggestions to refine?  That would be great if it's not too much trouble on your end.

Thanks again for taking the time to assist me.  I really appreciate it.

Jeff

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Jeff,

A few things to note:

- The CSV file has a few rows that include a comma in the text.  Currently, Survey123 cannot process lines with commas in the text properly

- The pulldata functions do not need to be in calculate questions - they can e in the questions that correspond with the fields directly.  They should be in calculate questions if you need to do some further processing on the answers (change the data type, combine latitude and longitude together to set a location)

- So long as the the question's name value corresponds to the field the value should be written to, it doesn't matter if the question type is note or text (notes are essentially read only text questions).

- In your calculations, you use $(field).  This should be ${field}.

0 Kudos
JeffDavis7
Occasional Contributor

Hi James,

Thank you so much for replying to my inquiry.

I've posted updates to both the PullData form and my CSV file.  I removed all commas in the Address column as you indicated and resaved the CSV file.

Could you please open and review the PullData form?

I modified the "type" in my PullData form to correspond to what the questions are in my Meter Change Form (decimal and text).

I have corrected $(field) to be ${field}.

Could you possibly markup my PullData form by providing some examples of your suggestions to refine?  That would be great if it's not too much trouble on your end.

Thanks again for taking the time to assist me.  I really appreciate it.

Jeff

0 Kudos
JeffDavis7
Occasional Contributor

Hi James,

I reread your response regarding the pulldata functions being included to correspond to the fields directly.  I've modified my attached Meter Change Form in the hopes of emulating what you indicated in your response.  I've left my CSV file attached for reference.

Is this what you were referring to in your response?

Thanks.

Jeff

0 Kudos
JeffDavis7
Occasional Contributor

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to post a follow-up to my original question for pulldata so that everyone could understand the solution.  The change I indicated in my previous response, supplied by James, is definitely a nice clean and valid path.  In order to make it function correctly (for me anyway),  I changed my Old Meter Number field (oldmeternum) to a text type versus decimal type.  It works perfectly now.

Thank you.

Jeff

0 Kudos
survey123_solutions
New Contributor III

Hi- although this is outdated, it doesn't hurt to ask- would you happen to have the updated files after following James' feedback? Thanks so much.

0 Kudos