Survey123 Connect Help

Jump to solution
04-24-2019 02:57 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I am developing an inspection survey and I have a question that includes a "select_multiple" type. I have 6 choices in my list under the list tab and one of the choices is "other." This question is a smart form question and if "other" is selected then I have text line open to describe what "other" entails. I have discovered that this does not work if "other" is selected along with one of the other 5 options. I can not figure out how to write the relevant expression to include "other" and or any of the other 5 options. It is possible in the survey to select from the 5 specific choices and also select "other" if there is an observance that is discovered that is not conventional? Any insight on how to write a "relevant" expression to accommodate this would be very helpful. Thanks : ) 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi. I am just  guessing here but may be the problem is that you are not correctly checking for selections in your select_multiple question. Please have a look at the Common mistakes, errors and other tips section in the https://community.esri.com/groups/survey123/blog/2017/08/30/understanding-multiple-choice-questions-... blog post.

To properly check for a selection in a select_multiple question you will want to use the selected function:

Good: selected(${question},'choice')

Not so good : ${question}='choice'

View solution in original post

5 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Doug,

Can you please share your xslx form file so we can take a closer look at the issue?

Phil.

0 Kudos
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi. I am just  guessing here but may be the problem is that you are not correctly checking for selections in your select_multiple question. Please have a look at the Common mistakes, errors and other tips section in the https://community.esri.com/groups/survey123/blog/2017/08/30/understanding-multiple-choice-questions-... blog post.

To properly check for a selection in a select_multiple question you will want to use the selected function:

Good: selected(${question},'choice')

Not so good : ${question}='choice'

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I should have prefaced that I have only been using Connect for a month or two, so this is all new to me.

I start with this multiple selection list

If other is selected then a text line pops up to describe the other

But, if select another item along with other I lose the text line. I would like the text line to appear whenever other is selected. 

Hope this helps explain what I am doing and trying to do. 

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Doug,

Instead of using an ='OTHER' evaluation in the relevant field, you need to use the selected() function to determine if a choice in a multiple choice object has been selected. See Formulas—Survey123 for ArcGIS | ArcGIS .

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Ismael and James,

I am new at this, so some of the language doesn't make sense right now. Your answers were spot on, got it working, thanks.  

0 Kudos