Survey123 Connect 2.6.4 Crashing when signed into ArcGIS Online

Jump to solution
01-30-2018 08:48 AM
PaulPanehal
New Contributor III

Hello,

I am writing this to potentially report a bug.

I am running Version 2.6.4 of Survey123 Connect, and it runs perfectly fine when I create and run surveys locally. As soon as I log into ArcGIS Online (AGO) and open my existing survey, Survey123 crashes.

At first I thought this had to do with certain fields that I had added, but this does not seem to be the case.

I have attached the three log files that all represent attempts to login withing minutes of each other. The smaller files seem to indicate why the program crashed.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Paul,

I believe I have found the issue with the crashes in Connect and the App you are having. The 3 png files you are using for the media images are very high resolution. Specifically the color_tweak.png image is 44,087 by 2,048 pixels. That makes it over 50 megapixels. Other Windows standard applications such as Paint, Picture Viewer and  even Adobe Photoshop Express also crash and/or will not display these images.

Given the screen size and display resolution of mobile devices and the width of a survey form, I would suggest that you do not need such high resolution images for the media image, and reducing these to a more reasonable pixel width/height will make the survey load faster and be more reliable. The survey does not crash when the images are removed from media folder and then does crash when added back in. Replacing with smaller resolution images also stops the crashing, so points to the image size being the issue.

Phil.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Paul - this is not a known issue. But I will try to replicate. Can you confirm that your Windows 7 environment has all the latest service packs applied?

Thanks

John

0 Kudos
PaulPanehal
New Contributor III

John,

I will try my best since the PCs are maintained separately by our IT Department.

I am certainly running Windows 7 Professional with SP1. 

Microsoft:

• .NET Framework 4.5.2
  • Visual C++ 2005 Redistrib.
  • Visual C++ 2005 Redistrib. (x64)
  • Visual C++ 2008 Redistrib. x86 9.0.30729.17
  • Visual C++ 2010 x64 Redistrib. 10.0.40219
  • Visual C++ 2010 x86 Redistrib. 10.0.40219
  • Visual C++ 2012 Redistrib. (x64) 11.0.50727
  • Visual C++ 2012 Redistrib. (x86) 11.0.50727

There are no further windows updates available to me.

I have attached my system specs to this post.

0 Kudos
PaulPanehal
New Contributor III

John,

I have had some success logging into AGO from Survey123 Connect, but I still have the same issue. Here is the scenario:

1. I open Survey123 Connect on my PC. I use the 'Sign In' button in the upper-right hand corner of the Front Page. I sign-in, no problem. I go to open my survey:
    • If I open a simple survey, I have no crashes. Simple surveys include typical questions, the ability to take pictures or geopoints, or were designed from an existing Feature Layer
    • The complex survey, the only survey I have issues with involves stored media, many questions with constraints or relevancies, and at least one complex calculation. This is the survey that crashes on me.

2. The other option includes not signing into AGO using Scenario 1, opening my complex survey, and signing into AGO after the survey form has been opened. The sign-in button is the 'person-shaped' icon in the lower-left hand corner of 'My Survey.' No crashes.
    • This leads me to think that both the complexity of my form, and other background processes always lead Survey123 Connect to crash. To add to this, I even tried, in the same session, logging out of AGO, and trying to open my complex survey, which still leads to a crash.

Are there any other ideas for me to try?

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Paul,

John has asked me to take a look at this issue, as I have a Windows 7 SP1 instance which hopefully we can replicate your crash on. Are you able to send me a copy of the survey xlsx for both your simple survey and complex survey, so I can work out where the crash occurs. Either attach to this post or send via private message. Thanks.

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
PaulPanehal
New Contributor III

Generally it seems that my 'complex' survey has a lot going on in such a way that it causes Survey123 Connect to crash. It almost seems like there may be a memory leak. The crashes always seem to occur when anything is done while the 'complex' survey is opening, or when logged into AGO

I have attached my .xlsx(s) for both the 'complex' survey and a more simple one.

Complex = 'Southerly_Quarterly......xlsx'

Simpler = 'FleetServices'

Another issue with the Complex survey is the embedded images do not open consistently.

Thanks,

Paul

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Paul,

Thanks for attaching your surveys. I have tested both your Simple and Complex survey on Windows 10 and Windows 7 and am unable to reproduce the crash you indicate at time of refreshing the survey. That being said there are some differences to what I am testing with (only the xlsx form) and what you are using, which includes media files.

Can you please navigate the to the folder of your survey (C:\Users\{username}\ArcGIS\My Survey Designs\) and zip up the entire folder for the survey and attach to post, so that I can get the contents of media folder? It is possible the issue is related to the images you are using.

One thing to note is that your Complex is actually not that overly complex. Whilst it has more questions, calculations and other smarts compared to your Simple survey, this shouldn't be the problem. We often see users with 500+ questions and very complex calculations, relevants, pulldata(), images etc and the surveys do not crash, but are definitely slow to load and refresh.

The other cause could be Windows 7 SP1. We have seen in other cases where crashes occur in Windows 7 due to drivers or location settings. Can you confirm if Location Services is enabled or disabled on your machine? Sometimes this is managed by your System Administrator, which we currently have an open bug for this, as if disabled then Connect and the App will crash on Windows 7 SP1 when return to survey gallery. Navigate to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Location and Other Sensors to check settings.

If disabled you will see the following, if enabled you will see the settings to make changes:

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
PaulPanehal
New Contributor III

Philip,

Generally speaking, the crashing seems to occur whenever I do anything while the survey is loading, and especially when I am signed into AGO.

Location Services:

As for the crash pop-up box, I do not even receive that.

I have attached an example from Jan. 1, 2018 from the Windows Event Viewer (.txt) detailing the crash.

I have attached the survey folder (.zip) for the 'complex' one. 

~~Frustratingly, now Survey123 is not crashing on me through the usual means. I have made some small changes as you will see in the zipped folder, but the three images are unchanged.

Thanks,

Paul

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Paul,

I believe I have found the issue with the crashes in Connect and the App you are having. The 3 png files you are using for the media images are very high resolution. Specifically the color_tweak.png image is 44,087 by 2,048 pixels. That makes it over 50 megapixels. Other Windows standard applications such as Paint, Picture Viewer and  even Adobe Photoshop Express also crash and/or will not display these images.

Given the screen size and display resolution of mobile devices and the width of a survey form, I would suggest that you do not need such high resolution images for the media image, and reducing these to a more reasonable pixel width/height will make the survey load faster and be more reliable. The survey does not crash when the images are removed from media folder and then does crash when added back in. Replacing with smaller resolution images also stops the crashing, so points to the image size being the issue.

Phil.

0 Kudos
PaulPanehal
New Contributor III

Phil,

That seems fair. We have opened the survey on mobile devices without issue. I resized those images while following this link:

https://community.esri.com/groups/survey123/blog/2017/09/19/optimizing-images-for-survey-forms 

So the final consensus is the image resolution causing the crashes? That makes more sense due to the images occasionally not loading on Connect.

Thank you for working with me on this.

Paul