Select to view content in your preferred language

Survey123 - Choices list

Jump to solution
08-17-2018 05:03 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello,

Quick question on the choices tab. Is it possible to have the following setup within the choices tab; please look carefully.

list_namenamelabel
Bat_Freq_Choice172.064172.064
Bat_Freq_Choice172.091172.091
Bat_Freq_Choice172.121172.121

Notice that there are "dots" or "decimal points" within the "name" column within the sample above! Also, please note that this is within a functioning Survey123 form that has been used on one of my projects. I did not realize that I had inadvertently forgot to replace the "decimal" with an "underscore" prior to posting the survey for use.  According to this help documentation though; this should not be possible or am I miss interpreting the help documentation?

Here is the first portion of the help documentation below

Choices worksheet

This worksheet is used to specify the answer choices for multiple choice questions. Each row represents an answer choice. Answer choices with the same list name are considered part of a related set of choices and will appear together for a question. This also allows a set of choices to be reused for multiple questions (for example, yes/no questions).

The choices worksheet has three mandatory columns: list name, name, and label.

• The list name column lets you group together a set of related answer choices. Choices with the same list name will be presented as the set of answers for a question.
  • The name column specifies the value that will be persisted in ArcGIS when that choice is chosen. Values in the name column do not accept special characters.
  • The label column shows the answer choice exactly as you want it to appear on the form. Alternatively, label translation columns can be used.

One thing to keep in mind when authoring forms in Excel is that the syntax you use must be precise. For example, if you write Choices or choice instead of choices, the form won’t work.

Here is the information that is contained within the link for "special characters"

Special characters

These characters can't be used in the name of a question, or in the name field for a choice list.

Special characterName

Space

Comma

;

Semicolon

-

Hyphen

/

Forward slash

$

Dollar sign

Dot

(

Opening parenthesis

)

Closing parenthesis

My survey should not be usable according to the help documentation, but it worked perfectly on a project that we completed this summer. However, I am getting ready to re-purpose this survey for use on another project that starts next week. I don't want to assume that the survey is "ok" to use and have issues with the form once my field crews start to use the form.

I have the opinion of making the edit for switching the "dot/decimal point" within the values of the "name" column to an "underscore" and thing should be good to go.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

#ismael chivite#james tedrick

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Mike,

Doing some testing, it looks like the documentation is in error - spaces are the only character that generates a warning (not an error).  The other characters are fine to use in choices. I'll make a note to update the documentation.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Mike,

Doing some testing, it looks like the documentation is in error - spaces are the only character that generates a warning (not an error).  The other characters are fine to use in choices. I'll make a note to update the documentation.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

James, thank you for the update and I appreciate the feedback.

0 Kudos
ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

Hi @JamesTedrick ,
Was the documentation updated? It is indicating that the name column in the choices sheet should not contain special characters. There doesn't appear to be any Excel warnings/errors on the survey file.

Should this refer to the list_name column? Can special characters/spaces be placed in the choice sheet 'name' column? I recall seeing some issues manifest from this but can't find any further documentation to confirm or back this up.

Cheers

0 Kudos
AnnaScholl
Occasional Contributor

status?

ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-ideas/add-data-validation-for-special-characters-in/i...

In my experience there was at least 2 or 3 issues tied to choice name value handling when they have special characters, within the Survey123 platform. There were also more issues when the values move to the rest of ArcGIS e.g. file geodatabase domain lists. I'm not confident that @JamesTedrick is correct in the documentation should be revised. Based on all of our testing, no, Survey123 and XLSForms are mostly fine when it comes to the data requirements for this list. However I think the documentation is correct and that it's better practice to have database friendly values in this list. Either way, I'd like this cleared up. Would suggest voting for this idea:

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-ideas/add-data-validation-for-special-characters-in/i...

0 Kudos