Survey123 Choice values get stripped of leading zeros

Jump to solution
03-12-2021 08:21 AM
TonyDaSilva1
Occasional Contributor

Hi,
I think there is a bug with string based values for select_one text fields where if the text looks like a integer but is preceded by zeros (000123) it gets stripped and ends up in the feature class like (123). 

Please fix this.

Thanks,

Tags (1)
20 Replies
KatharinaWerner1
New Contributor II

Hello, is there an update about that bug? We're using a csv-file as source of the choice-list. So I guess the workaround doesn't work for csv-file. 

Thanks, Katharina

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @KatharinaWerner1,

Yes, this has been fixed in the upcoming 3.13 release which will be available this week.

It was originally logged as:

BUG-000138199 - Leading zeros are dropped from the values submitted by the 'select_one' questions in ArcGIS Survey123 3.12.

Please test out your workflow with the latest 3.13 release and let us know if you still encounter any issues.

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
KatharinaWerner1
New Contributor II

Hi @Anonymous User,

thanks for your answer. That sounds really great. I'll test as soon as 3.13 is available in Google Play Store. As I read it should be released today? 😁 (ArcGIS Survey123 Deprecation Notes (May 2021) (esri.com)

Regards,

Katharina

KatharinaWerner1
New Contributor II

Version 3.13. works fine for us! Thanks and have a nice weekende,

Katharina

RM_-_AmyOrtner__GISS_
New Contributor

I am concatenating text fields (defined as string and have an input mask such as '999') that can contain leading zeros. While the text fields retain their leading zeros, once they are concatenated the leading zeros are dropped. Example: field1=080 and field2=009, when concatenated with a "-" between the two fields the result is 80-9. I need it to be 080-009. Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
JoshConrad1
New Contributor III

@IsmaelChivite @JamesTedrick 

It sounds like toFixed should be built into Survey123 connect forms for this issue

0 Kudos
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

@RM_-_AmyOrtner__GISS_  It would be great if you can share an XLSForm to illustrate the problem. I created my own XLSForm based on your description and I do not lose any leading zeroes.

Attaching animation with the behavior I see and the XLSForm I used.

Concat.gif

0 Kudos
JoshConrad1
New Contributor III

@IsmaelChivite 

Could this be used for necessary trailing zeros? Or maybe the question actually would be:

I am working on a form with a geotrace field, utilizing calculated lat/long information. I am running into some instances in the calculations where the ending number is a "0", which gets cut off in my form.

Is there a way to utilize the toFixed functionality built into the feature report within a survey123 form? or some kind of function/restraint/calculation i can utilize? 

0 Kudos
AOrtner
New Contributor

Ismael, shortly after posting my problem with the leading zeros, I found a way to make it work. I'm not sure exactly what I changed, I think it may have been defining the field type as string, but it has been working. Here is what the xlsx looks like now.

AOrtner_2-1692821798333.png

0 Kudos
Cyprus_Forest_Department
Occasional Contributor

This also works with Type=textappearance=numbers, and bind::esri:fieldType=esriFieldTypeString.
This way you have the little calculator for input as well!

0 Kudos