Survey123 Barcode Scanning Question

12-17-2018 07:38 AM
JeffDavis7
Occasional Contributor

Hello,

I initially created a survey using Survey123 for ArcGIS.  Then it came to my attention that I need to incorporate the ability to scan a barcode into my form.  Based upon my online searches I discovered that Survey123 Connect for ArcGIS has a Samples section that features Barcodes.  I then brought my completed survey form into Survey123 Connect with the hope of integrating the sample Barcode information within this survey.

Can someone help me integrate the BarcodeSample with my ElectricMeterChangeForm?

Line 13 in my ElectricMeterChangeForm is where the Barcode information needs to go.  I need the user to scan the electric meter barcode to autopopulate the New Meter Number.

Thank you.

Jeff

0 Kudos
4 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Jeff,

What is the entire string returned from the barcode when scanned? Is it just the meter number or does it contain additional information?

If you insert a new line above field_10 (line 13) and set the type to barcode, give it a name and label, and then use minimal appearance so the returned string is not visible. If you do not want this barcode string to be added as a new field and the value stored as raw data in your feature service, you can set the esri field type to null.

Then, on the New Meter Number, you need to set a calculation to read the string you want from the barcode question type. If you want the entire string then just use ${barcodequestname} or if you only want part of the string use substr(${barcodequestname},0,7) for example for first 7 digits.

Hope that makes sense.

Phil.

0 Kudos
JeffDavis7
Occasional Contributor

Hi Phil,

Thank you for responding to my posting.  Hope you had and are having a great holiday.

In response to your question, the entire string would be just the meter number obtained from the meter's barcode tag after scanning.

I've made the modifications you suggested to the ElectricMeterChangeForm.  Could you please check to make sure it is what you were suggesting? I've uploaded a revised copy of the form.  In addition, I have attached a screen capture of what my updated form produced.  Should I be seeing a barcode graphic in the form?

Thanks.

Jeff

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Jeff,

I had a quick look at your survey, and whilst I can not test it with your specific barcode, the survey appears to be configured correctly. However your screenshot doesn't seem to show the barcode icon for scanning, which launches the camera, can you confirm you have a camera on the device and it is working. The question should look as follows:

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
JeffDavis7
Occasional Contributor

Hi Phil,

Thank you for reviewing my form.  I really appreciate your time.

The screenshot actually was taken from my desktop computer.  Sorry.  I probably should have mentioned that in the posting.  I have yet to publish and run trials using our Android phones and tablets.  Your answer would tend to confirm that I should not be seeing anything now regarding the barcode icon until the form is being accessed in the field using our collection devices.

Thank you again and I will definitely let you know if any issues arise when the form is being used in practice.

As a side note, I will be posting another question regarding the use of including PullData in my current form as well.  Since you have been so helpful with my Barcode conundrum I am hoping you may assist with this one as well.

Thank you again.

Jeff