Survey123 and related tables

02-18-2021 01:16 AM
LouiseHarris1
New Contributor III

I am trying to work out the correct workflow and how to achieve it for a new mobile GIS project. Currently the users collate the information in a paper form out on site and this is then scanned and saved. I have created a form in Survey123 but I need to enable the users to see a history of inspections and collect new points for these inspections to relate to. There is no existing feature class containing points for the locations of the inspections as this has never been created before. So basically this is starting from scratch and I believe I need to use related tables but just don't understand how to do this.

Any help would be much appreciated

Louise

0 Kudos
14 Replies
BertKraan1
Occasional Contributor III

If you create a survey with a repeat  section upon publishing the software will create related features for you.

I'm new to this as well and it can be a steep learning curve but there are quite some good training resources, have you seen these:?  https://survey123.arcgis.com/videos/

you may also search for 'advanced xlsform techniques' a 74minutes video which describes -amongst others- related tables.

success!

Bert -noob-

DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

What I do is have a "main" feature class with all the locations.  Then all my forms are related to the main.

You will have to create the initial layer, no real way around that.  Hopefully you have lat/long or something?  Same with my new company no one ever thought of it spatially.  Add GPS to your forms also and you will start to make your real locations better.  Or just have everyone find it like they used to then use these first forms as your base points.  I like each visit to be a form to get location and editor tracking.

See here for more  https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-questions/mapping-with-survey123-within-a-polygon-or-...

Hope that helps

Rodney_Young
New Contributor II

This is a HUGE job!

You will need ArcPro/ArcMap, Collector, and Survey123.

1. You will need to build the inspection location points feature class
  2. Build related table with attachments
  3. Create RelationshipClass using GlobalIDs/GUID combo
  4. Input Related Table (RT) data.
  5. Build Collector web map/app (Survey123 does not allow users to preview previous RT entries)
  6. Create Survey123 related table entry Form
  7. Using Webhooks to call the S123 form from Collector app to enter new Inspections

Good Luck!

Rodney_Young
New Contributor II

BTW you could just skip the whole Survey 123 part and just use Collector/Field maps for Inspection entries.  If you want to use S123 then use the steps above.

0 Kudos
LouiseHarris1
New Contributor III

In my survey 123 form I have multiple select questions and questions where a field is auto filled based on an answer to a previous question, can this be done in collector or field maps?

0 Kudos
Rodney_Young
New Contributor II

I believe Field Maps does, but I haven't had a chance to confirm.  Check the YouTube video on Field Maps.

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor
0 Kudos
Rodney_Young
New Contributor II

Re-read the documentation.

https://doc.arcgis.com/en/survey123/desktop/create-surveys/survey123withexistingfeatureservices.htm

GlobalIDs are required for Attachments.

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I mean for all the other relationships.  Not for attachments.

0 Kudos