Survey123 3.10 crashes when taking photos with iPhone 6S

08-11-2020 06:11 PM
AlainChouinard
New Contributor III

Hi all,

Since the latest release of Survey123 3.10, our users with iPhone 6S are unable to take pictures (camera or file) within our surveys. The application just crashes when the camera opens or file browser opens. It seems that the ones using iPhone 7 dont't have this issue. 

These surveys were developped with previous versions of Survey123 Connect.

Someone have an idea ?

Thanks a lot in advance !

0 Kudos
17 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Alain,

Can you confirm what iOS version the iPhone 6S is running? Also what is the exact model from iOS Settings About screen?

We have not seen the crashes you described on iPhone 6 models we have access to for testing with 3.10 release, however there could be a difference with exact model number and the available memory and CPU in the device.

If you can raise this issue as a BUG with Esri Support that would be greatly appreciated, so we can have an analyst further diagnose the problem and try to reproduce, and will allow us to track this as an official BUG with your customer details.

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
ChristinaKimbrough
New Contributor II

Hi Philip,

We've just gone live with Survey123 and all going well till we've experienced a similar problem to this. We have an asset repeat and when they reached past 13 the Iphone 6 version 12.4.8 would crash every time you selected the camera to take a photo. To work around this the surveyor closed the app, took the photos and then uploaded through the file option. 

We've had other surveyors on different devices record 24 assets without issue. Do you have a fix or should I report this too as a bug?

Thanks,

Christina 

0 Kudos
AlainChouinard
New Contributor III

Hi Philip,

I have iOS 12.4.6 on my phone, model MG3A2CL/A. But I have an upgrade scheduled for tonight... I'll check tomorrow if the problem is the same and keep you in touch.

Thanks for this quick answer !

0 Kudos
AlainChouinard
New Contributor III

Hi Philip,

I upgraded to iOS 12.4.8 last night and still have the problem. So I will open a BUG for this.

Thanks

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Alain,

Thanks for the update. We also did some further testing yesterday with iPhone 6 and 12.4.8 and it is working as expected on our test device. We do not have the same 6S model as you are using, so it could be device specific.

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Alain,

One thing to test on that device, does the same crash occur when you use a "file' question type, and try to select a file via the browse file option? Or does this crash issue only occur with "image" question type using bother camera to take photo, or browse to an image via photo gallery?

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
AlainChouinard
New Contributor III

Thanks Philip for this update !

I tried a "file" question instead of an "image" question and it does not crash on my device. However, this way I think that we do not have access to the photo library on the phone, only to iCloud, which is not practical for us since we often work in remote areas, without a cellular network. But if it helps you to know this information ...

We've also noticed that the issue occurs with one particular survey but not with all of our other surveys, and it appears to only occur with iPhones 6 and not with iPhones 7 and SE.

I opened a ticket with ESRI Canada Technical Support (Esri Case #02613819) and they are trying to find out what the problem is with this survey.

I will keep you in touch. Thanks again !

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Alain,

Thanks for additional information. Given this only occurs with a specific survey on that specific device, are you able to share the xlsx form file so we an try and reproduce on the similar devices we have access too. If there are any files in the media folder (pulldata csv or images) please also share those too.

We have made some improvements for the upcoming 3.11 release for the file question type that will allow you to to use select either file or image on iOS and therefore use the gallery to select the photo, not just files app. This will help with above problem you mentioned.

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
AlainChouinard
New Contributor III

Thank you Philip for this answer and for your help. Unfortunately I hesitate to share this survey since I would like to prevent our competitors from copying our methods, we are ahead of our competitors on this and it's a quite complex survey. Is there a way to send you the survey privately (I know this is against the spirit of the GeoNet community ...)

Regards

0 Kudos