Select to view content in your preferred language

Survey suddenly not opening from Collector

03-16-2019 06:52 PM
ChrisYoung2
Occasional Contributor

I have always used the following code to open a survey from a collector feature:

arcgis-survey123://?itemID=91806295bb024ff6a55cfebe6e029a41

In the past, this would open the survey on my device and I could fill in information. I  have not been in the field for a few months and recently made a few changes to a survey. I checked to make sure this was the same code, which it was. I get a message from my device saying the survey has not been downloaded to my device, even though I just downloaded it 5 minutes before.

I have deleted all my downloaded surveys, uninstalled the Survey 123 app and reinstalled it with the same result.

Any ideas as to why this is happening?

0 Kudos
22 Replies
BrettStokes
Esri Contributor

Hi Chris,

It sounds like you are sending service error reports through the app (although I can’t see anything from your email address). These aren’t detailed enough to troubleshoot here.

It would be helpful if you can send us through a log file for when the app crashes. You can create the log file by going to Survey123 SettingsDiagnostics and then turning on Logging. Take note of the log output location and file name so you can copy the log file from your Android device later. Now open one of the surveys you know to fail (are they all causing the app to crash now?).

Please send through a log file that was logging when the app crashed.

Thanks,

Brett

0 Kudos
ChrisYoung2
Occasional Contributor

Attached are some logs from the past few days. I'll create some more and send them as well.

Get Outlook for Android<https://aka.ms/ghei36>

0 Kudos
ChrisYoung2
Occasional Contributor

Here is a log from a shut down that just occurred starting the survey from the survey app.

0 Kudos
ChrisYoung2
Occasional Contributor

This is a log from a survey that just shut down after starting it through collector. Both of these logs use the survey which you looked at which was updated.

0 Kudos
ChrisYoung2
Occasional Contributor

These logs are from trying an older survey that used to work. The first two reports are from starting it from Survey 123 app. The third is trying to start it from collector.

0 Kudos
BrettStokes
Esri Contributor

Hi Chris,

Thanks for supplying the log files. There isn’t anything obvious in them would explain your device crashing after about a minute.

This is beginning to sound like a device issue, although this usually is caused by memory limitations when using very large external select lists etc (not the case here). Can you replicate this crash on any other Samsung Galaxy Note 4 devices or is it one specific device? I can’t replicate on any of the devices I’ve tested with your survey (Samsung Tab A6 – Android 5.1, Samsung S7 – Android 8.0 and iPhone 8 – iOS 11.4). Do you have other types of mobile devices to test with?

Brett

0 Kudos
ChrisYoung2
Occasional Contributor

Hi Brett,

I got the same result when I tried my wife’s phone which is the same model. I have attached the log, although it probably won’t help you much.

Chris

An Accredited land trust

Chris Young

Stewardship & GIS Coordinator

Columbia Land Conservancy

49 Main Street

Chatham, NY 12037

518.392.5252 ext. 221

chris.young@clctrust.org<mailto:chris.young@clctrust.org>

www.clctrust.org

Conserving rural landscapes.

Connecting people to the land.

0 Kudos
BrettStokes
Esri Contributor

Ok, thanks Chris - that's interesting. Unfortunately I don't have access to another Samsung Galaxy Note 4 to verify it's a model specific issue. Can you please try one of your failing surveys (all of your surveys are causing the crash aren't they?) on another mobile device? It doesn't matter what model / OS etc, we're just trying to rule out the issue being model related.

Thanks,

Brett

0 Kudos
ChrisYoung2
Occasional Contributor

Unfortunately, the only other device I have access to is an older model i-Pad. The Survey 123 version is 2.8.2 and the app framework version is 2.1.19. The OS is 9.3.5. The surveys open fine with this version.

An Accredited land trust

Chris Young

49 Main Street

Chatham, NY 12037

518.392.5252 ext. 221

www.clctrust.org

0 Kudos
ChrisYoung2
Occasional Contributor

I sent a couple more reports just now after trying an even older survey.

An Accredited land trust

Chris Young

49 Main Street

Chatham, NY 12037

518.392.5252 ext. 221

www.clctrust.org

0 Kudos