survey response pre-population question

10-26-2018 09:38 AM
johnbrosowsky
Occasional Contributor II

Is it possible to pre-populate survey responses for an individual based on responses from the last time the person took the survey?  For example they take the survey one year, and then take the same survey the next year.  For a lenghtly survey it would be useful to pre-populate an indivudual's survey with their individual responses from last year.

Similarly for a really long survey, is it possible to allow the individual to partially compelte a survey, and then come back another day to complete it, in case they have to research some answers?

In my scenario I am authoring the survey using XLSForms, and my users take the survey in the 3.0  web app.

Thanks!

JB

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi JB,

For the periodic revisiting - how are the users accessing the form?  There are a few ways to create a hyperlink that would open and fill in previous data filled in.

Currently, the web form does not support editing an existing feature, so partial completion/revisit is not supported.

0 Kudos
johnbrosowsky

Hi James - 

In my case each user will be sent a URL to access their survey. It would be possible to provide a unique URL for each user.  I am interested to hear about ways to create a hyperlink that would open and fill in previously entered data.

Thanks!

JB

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

John,

I have had success within the field app using the Survey123 Custom URL schema to pass information into a form, but I accomplished within the field app. However, I think you can use the same method and just apply the code for opening the web browser based form.

A great resource would be this article - https://community.esri.com/groups/survey123/blog/2016/07/30/understanding-survey123s-custom-url-sche... toward the end of the article it gives reference to being able to invoke the Survey123 web app or website through a simple URL. The section is titled "Invoking a Custom URL Scheme programmatically".

Hopefully this is helpful.

Good luck,

Mike

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I was curious and found this article also on opening a Survey123 form within a web browser based on a URL link.

https://community.esri.com/thread/207742-custom-url-for-survey123-web-form 

johnbrosowsky

That is very helpful, but think it would not work well for pre-populating a very long survey.  Also there could be security concerns over sending out a URL with confidential values included in the URL.  Is source code for the web survey form available?  

0 Kudos