Survey Differences for Owner/Viewers

07-16-2018 12:15 PM
DexterSlusarski
New Contributor

Hi there, some of our users are noticing some inconsistencies with updated surveys, specifically within the survey123.arcgis.com suite of tools (data, analyze). In this specific survey we've added a supplemental question which was appended to the feature service - all of our field surveyors can see that specific question. However, our team that utilized the data via the survey123.arcgis.com seem to be looking at an older feature service that does not included the appended question/response. As the owner/publisher of the survey I can see the updated feature service and my export includes the added question. 

I've attached some screenshots of the inconsistency from the data tool. Another interesting note is that when I head over to Analyze and click set viability, the service seems to updated and grab the additional questions. This unfortunately is not transferred over to the data portion. It's an odd situation that I really am struggling to find a solution/work around. Any ideas would be appreciated! 

Tags (1)
14 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Zhifang Wang Can you please look into this issue?

0 Kudos
JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Dexter

It sounds like the stakeholder view has not been updated. When you share a survey via the viewer tab, a stakeholder view is created in AGOL. If you go into AGOL and delete the view, and then reshare the survey via the survey123 website (which will recreate it), this should fix things. Note that you may need to clear your browser cache.

Thanks

John

ZhifangWang
Esri Regular Contributor

As Johnathan described above, the feature service view used for stakeholders has not been updated when republishing the survey. The Analyze page in the website reads question information from the form item so you can see the appended question, however, it will show the error message "Cannot get answers for this question. Details: unable to find the field in related feature service." since it cannot find the underlying field in the feature service view for the stakeholder.  As an owner, source feature service will be used and updated directly when republishing the survey.

MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Why is the stakeholder view not automatically updated when you publish the survey?

I think an auto-update to all components of the survey would be extremely useful for management purposes, especially if you need to manage many different surveys.

ZhifangWang
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the mention. You are correct, the stakeholder view should be updated automatically when the survey owner makes any update to the survey, I believe this is what we are doing as long as the survey owner updates any part of the survey (e.g. append questions and republishing) within Survey123 website.

Please let us know if you see any exception of the behavior. 

Thanks!

0 Kudos
AnneDunckel
New Contributor III

If you make major changes that wipes the data from the survey it does not update the stakeholder automatically. I still have had to go back and delete the stakeholder and re-set the permissions to get it to re-create. At least that is what happened to me last week when I had to update field lengths and change some chunks of my survey.

0 Kudos
ZhifangWang
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Anne, 

Sorry for the inconvenience. 

Just want to double check, when you said "make major changes that wipes the data from the survey", do you mean to make schema changes to fields in the survey layer or just delete features/records in that layer? If it's the first case, the stakeholder view is supposed to updated automatically as long as you do the changes within the Survey123 website, would you mind sharing some detailed steps for us to reproduce the issue?

Thanks,

Zhifang

0 Kudos
AnneDunckel
New Contributor III

Hi Zhifang,

I meant making schema changes (I think). I had to adjust a few field lengths for some responses, which prompted me to have to re-publish the survey. This was done in Survey123 Connect. During the re-publish I had to agree to lose my data, and afterwards my collogues were not able to access data that they had not submitted such as test surveys we and a field day of data we completed after the re-publish.  I deleted the stakeholder and reset permissions as described in this forum and they were able to gain that access again. I hope this info helps.  

0 Kudos
ZhifangWang
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Anne, 

Thanks for the information.

I think you encountered one known issue in our backlog: once the survey is shared with other viewers on Survey123 website, you cannot re-publish the survey in Survey123 Connect (or you need to delete the _stakeholder feature service view item manually before re-publishing). I've logged your voice in our backlog.

Thanks,

Zhifang