survey 123 validate image attachment location accuracy

03-26-2020 03:07 PM
CharlesBailey
New Contributor III

I've been looking at the EXIF and Watermark templates for S123 trying to find a way to validate the location accuracy of attached photos - specifically I want to restrict taking images when the accuracy threshold is above a certain level. I know this can be done for geopoints but the point location is fixed and coming in from the inbox - we want to know how accurate is the photo geotag. I saw that there is an accuracy field in the watermarks but none of the images we have taken in S123 will display anything when using @[accuracy] in the watermark template. Is there something we need to 'turn on' in the survey to capture this information? Neither will it populate for lat or long even though the coordinates show up in the details in windows explorer. Thanks for any info or advice - cob

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Charles,

Currently, Survey123 does not write accuracy into a photo's EXIF information.  You could use a combination of the geopoint question with image information, but you wouldn't have exactly the right location information to compare.

0 Kudos
CharlesBailey
New Contributor III

Thanks James - is this something that is planned in the future, since it is already an existing field and mentioned repeatedly in the documentation? I'm not sure how to use a geopoint since not all of the images will be taken at the point. 

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Hi Charles,

I've noted this as a future enhancement.  I'm not sure what you are referring to by being mentioned repeatedly in the documentation?  This would be an EXIF property; the watermark routine accesses the location information from the same data source that writes the location information into EXIF (it's not reading from the image).

0 Kudos
CharlesBailey
New Contributor III

In the docs it has a sample that writes the collector, coordinates and accuracy in meters. Also in the list of functions is has @accuracy as a watermark, but it doesn't work for me.  

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Hi Charles,

That table is specific to the watermark syntax, which isn't getting the information from the photo - rather, it is writing the data onto the photo from the app.

0 Kudos
CharlesBailey
New Contributor III

I didn’t understand that at all James. Where is the data coming from?

0 Kudos
CharlesBailey
New Contributor III

Hey James, has this been implemented yet? Time for another cycle and it would be very helpful. Thanks, cob

0 Kudos