Select to view content in your preferred language

Survey 123 send stuck on Getting service information

02-18-2019 02:26 PM
AaronWorthley1
Occasional Contributor II

I am encountering a problem where my survey gets stuck when trying to send with the spinning wheel and "Getting Service information" then the name of the 2nd of 2 related tables.

Based on other threads for similar issues, I've rebuilt the entire geodatabase, and overwritten the feature service, I've updated and republished the survey, but this continues to happen. I can't get any surveys to upload.

I had this working fine previously, but I had to update the feature service and ended up making a whole new survey based on the old one but referencing the new FS.

Is there any way to troubleshoot what is going on? I'm running v3.2.265 on ios. The feature service is hosted on AGOL, and has 2 related tables which are populated by the Survey. The hang appears to be on the second of the 2. The 2nd table is referenced in a repeat in the form, but it doesn't matter if I add data to that part of the form or not.

I'm able to create features and rows in the related tables in ArcGIS Pro with no issues. Since I've already rebuilt everything, I'm not sure how else to figure it out.

0 Kudos
43 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Jim,

It sounds like the error you are encountering if due to something else? Have you made any changes recently to your feature layers/tables in the survey, re-published via Connect or Web designer? If so, make sure you re-download the surveys on all devices.

What version of Connect and App are you using, and are you using AGO or Portal (what version)? Also does this error happen on all devices, and on all OS tested, or just some?

Phil.

0 Kudos
JimW
by

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the reply. The layer in question is a brand new hosted feature service.  It is identical to another hosted feature service expect for the addition of two new fields.  The older hosted feature service when accessed in Survey123 works no problems.  These two new fields aren't part of the survey in question.  This is the only change that I made and my "new" hosted feature service was published as brand new in ArcGIS Online.  Nothing else has changed.

In my survey if I change the item id to my new hosted feature service, Survey123 hangs on submission.  If I change it back to my original layer, the record gets submitted.  I tried publishing my new hosted feature service from a brand new map in Pro, from a brand new project in Pro and I recreated the hosted feature layers in a brand new geodatabase before publishing to AGO.  The survey always hangs when I got to submit the record.  If I switch it back to my original layer, it works.  I even created a brand new survey based on my feature service in Connect.  This survey was identical in logic and functionality.  The only difference is the hosted feature service it uses.  But it still hangs on the submission.  The issue seems to be with my new layer but I can't tell what the issue is.

I am using version 3.3.51 of Survey123 Connect and version 3.3.64 of Survey123 for windows and iOS.  This happens on my desktop, IPad and IPhone.  I reinstalled the previous version of Connect and Survey123 with the same results.

Thanks for your help.

Jim

0 Kudos
AaronWorthley1

Sounds like my original issue- changing the survey item ID to another, otherwise identical, hosted feature service causes the survey to hang on submission. I still have not found a solution. Recreating a new version of the hosted feature service from the Survey is not practical.

JimW
by

I just tried publishing from ArcMap instead of Pro.  The issue appears to have gone away and my survey does not hang up on submission of a record.  I have to check the other surveys in my workflow that follow this one up now and see if they work.

AaronWorthley1

Hi Phil- I'm circling back to this because I've just now tried creating a new survey from a new hosted layer with related table and am encountering this issue again. This is a simple feature layer, with a simple related table, and a simple form that is intended to edit the related table- intended strictly for testing out a different issue I'm having. (The relationship is maintained by passing the GlobalID to the Parent_Guid field via custom url scheme in Collector).

I'm frustrated and stuck, is there any chance I could share a Group with you so you can take a look at the feature layers, map, and survey and see if there is any way out of this? It's probably something simple, but I'm missing it after lots of trying.

Thanks,

Aaron

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Aaron,

Phil asked me to take a look at this - if you want to share with my username (tedrick_Survey123), I'd be happy to look.

0 Kudos
AaronWorthley1

Thanks James- done. I'm actually still trying to solve the issue from my other thread getting the ParentGuid to populate correctly, this was on my way to setting up new layer/map/survey for testing. Kind of pulling my hair out at this point! I appreciate whatever help you can offer.

I still can't get the parent guid to stick on my original layer/table. I'm not sure if this one will work because I can't get the survey to submit, but it doesn't appear to work if I send the layer GlobalID directly to the ParentGuid field in the related table via url. Was trying with a calculation when I realized the survey was again getting stuck on submit.

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Hi Aaron,

The you are seeing in submitting is caused by the numbering in the feature service - ArcGIS Pro is skipping the number 1.  This will be addressed in a future release of Pro; as a workaround, can you create a file GDB with the feature class and table and then publish the service by uploading the fGDB via ArcGIS Online web pages?

0 Kudos
AaronWorthley1

Thanks James- Ok I followed your workaround and the test survey is now submitting. Can you point me to a bug ID so I can keep track of this issue? I assume this is only affecting Survey123? I haven't encountered any issues with Feature Services published from Pro in other places (Collector, Web Apps, etc).

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Hi Aaron,

On a high level, this is an occurrence of BUG-000118366; the specific interaction of Pro and Survey123 (which is fixed in an upcoming version of Pro) is BUG-000121013.

0 Kudos