Survey 123 Returns more than 255 Characters

05-01-2019 09:31 AM
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

In this thread I asked about removing a new line character ('\n') that appears in a field.  I got that working but I'm now faced with different problem with the same data.

Some how, survey 123 crams more than 255 characters into a field that is defined as 255.  When the data in the survey is synced with the eGDB data, and I search for the new line, in the fields where there are more than 255 characters my python script will toss an error.

So....  How does a survey that is defined with a field of 255 characters cram more characters than that into an eGDB field that is defined as 255 characters?

James Tedrick

That should just about do it....
5 Replies
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Joe,

Are you using the web app or the field app?  Can you share the survey?

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

It's  the water quality survey that you've worked with Lynn Berni‌ on.  

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Hi Joe,

Is this collected using teh field app or the web form?  

0 Kudos
LynnBerni
Occasional Contributor II

Hi James,

The survey was created in S123 Connect, and I assume we're using the field app on ipads (v3.3.64). We have three surveys using an existing feature service. All have at least one multi line text field set to 255 characters.  Strangely, the Macros SDE survey is the only one where Joe's python script errors out. 

All three surveys can be found in this Google Drive folder.

Thanks!
Lynn

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Hi Lynn,

The character limit is working as expected in iOS with teh Macros survey.  Is there a specific question that exhibits the problem?  Are there one or multiple records that have more than the expected number of characters?

0 Kudos