Survey 123 - Problem with setting rules

Jump to solution
03-02-2021 07:02 PM
mfreeman
New Contributor II

Hello,

After editing one of my survey, I have noticed that all my rules have gone wrong (i.e associated with the wrong question, disappearing,...)

I have tried to reset them but it doesn't work. For example, I would set a rule but it would then disappear or change the question to which it is associated. In some occasion it would give me the answer of a completely different question when I select the if.

Has anyone encountered this type of problems and is there a solution to it other than remove all the rules from the survey?

Thank you very much

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mfreeman
New Contributor II

Hello,

Sorry for the late response.

I have managed to work around the issue by taking some questions out of the group they were in and applying the setting rules on the entire group below the question. 

It did help but I had to change a lot of the design of my survey.

Regards,

Melanie Freeman

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
17 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @mfreeman,

Can you please provide a few more details. Are you using the web designer or Survey123 Connect? If it is Connect, what version?

If web designer, does this happen on all question types, or only some, if so which ones? And are you refreshing the page, saving as draft or performing another action that refreshes the website when you lose the changes?

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
mfreeman
New Contributor II

Hi,

I am using the web designer. It happened on all the questions that were referring to other questions outside of the groups the question with associated rule was. I manage to by-pass the problem by taking the rule question out of the group and then generating smaller groups to which the question can refer too. 

I wasn't saving or refreshing or doing anything during the process. 

Regards,

Melanie

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @mfreeman,

Thanks for the additional information, I will ask our web team to take a look at this issue.

@ZhifangWang

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
JodyZhengLiu
Esri Contributor

Hi @mfreeman ,

I have sent you a message for more information. Please feel free to send me a Direct Message or email me at zliu@esri.com

Thanks,

Jody Zheng Liu

cogruppo
New Contributor

Hello @mfreeman ,

I'm having your same issues, how did you fix the problem?

if you want, you can contact me at disivo@cogruppo.it

Thank you

mfreeman
New Contributor II

Hello,

Sorry for the late response.

I have managed to work around the issue by taking some questions out of the group they were in and applying the setting rules on the entire group below the question. 

It did help but I had to change a lot of the design of my survey.

Regards,

Melanie Freeman

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User,Set rule page is blank and does not allow for further editingSet rule page is blank and does not allow for further editingQuestion has missing rulesQuestion has missing rules

I too am having the same issue. After each edit to the rules, I save then preview, and when I return to the Design page, a lot of the rules are missing or randomly pointing to other questions that are not related. When I try to edit the rules, the "set rules" page is completely blank.  

MaddyOliver
New Contributor

@Anonymous User  did you ever resolve this, I am currently having the same issue and the support team can't work out the issue.

The resolution listed does not work for me because this is also happening on rules set inside and out of groups. It is also totally random, appearing and disappearing every time I save and publish. My survey is totally unable without these rules and I have wasted so much time resetting them over and over again for them to just break. Honestly at my wit's end and this is crucial for my master's research. Please help, anyone! 

JenMcRuer
Occasional Contributor

@MaddyOliver @Anonymous User @JodyZhengLiu 

Hi! Just wondering if this issue was resolved for you?

I am currently having the same issue on two different surveys (built with web designer).  The first survey is published and operational. I had to add a question, and when I did it broke a rule in a non-associated page/question. When I added the rule again, it now seems to be fine (but had I not thought to check by previewing the survey, I would not have known that this rule was no longer working, as it had nothing to do with my newly added question)

The second survey was a 'saved as' version of the first. I'm trying to add a 'part b' section to the existing survey, so am first trialing to see if it will function.  When I add a single choice question "have you completed survey #1" yes/no.  If No, go to first page of survey #1.  If Yes, go to part b page.   The 'no' rule works. The 'yes' rule takes me to a random question. 

I have tried previewing this in an incognito window, have logged out and in to ArcGIS online.... 

Hmmmm.... Any help appreciated!

0 Kudos