Survey 123 decimal fields not calculating when editing an existing survey.

09-19-2018 07:10 AM
MichaelTorbett
Occasional Contributor II

When I first fill out a survey, all of the fields that do calculations work just fine and I submit. However, when I go back into the survey a 2nd time to add more data, the decimal fields will not calculate. Has anyone had this problem before? same results on both Android and IOS. All decimal fields are behaving this way.

First  Time                                                                                              2nd  time                                                                          

Thanks,

Michael 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Michael,

I notice in both of the photos the form has been opened in edit mode - is this being loaded from the Inbox?  If so, what values already exist in the form when open?

0 Kudos
MichaelTorbett

Hey James,

Yes, it's being loaded from the inbox. I tried it using sent as well. No Luck.

I also just completely deleted and recreated the survey based off of the same xls form and it's still doing the same thing.  

All of the fields that are to be calculated do not have any default values initially, just formulas (everything in green. Note:...."Number SPB + Clerids (integer)" does not have a default value, just a formula). The fields that are used in the calculations (the white fields) are all defaulted to zero at first. See below...

The survey has been created using the latest version of Survey 123 Connect as well as the viewer. 

I'm all ears to suggestions.

0 Kudos
MichaelTorbett

Again, I am only having this issue when I go back into survey 123 through inbox or sent and edit an existing survey.

I didn't want to make this public yet, but I'm on a serious time constraint and all out of ideas. I've attached the spreadsheet and I have a case open with ESRI as well. I've tried deleting and republishing the survey. No luck!, I've tried creating a blank form and then copying and pasting into it from the original form, with no luck!

The decimal fields are set as read only. I tried changing that to editable and the fields still will not populate. However, I noticed that there is now a refresh option by each question in the survey. when I hit it, the fields will then calculate.  Unfortunately this will not a workable solution. I need the decimal fields to be set as read only and for them to auto calculate.

I used this exact same survey back in March of this year and did not have this issue. My only other option is to rewrite this survey and I would really like to avoid this if at all possible.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Michael

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Michael,

There appears to be an issue in the determination of whether a value should continue calculation - when a survey is opened from the Inbox, the calculated value is checked with the value stored.  Given that you are defaulting to 0 / 0, this might be causing an error in the check. 

However, if you change the decimal questions to calculate, the calculations will continue, though they won't be visible to the users (you could add a note to echo the value of the calculations if that is important).

0 Kudos
MichaelTorbett

Hey James,

I tried what you said about deleting the zeros and the decimal fields still do not calculate in the inbox. When I first created this survey back in February, I had to put in default zeros to get the decimals fields to calculate in the inbox . This survey worked beautifully this past spring. Has there been change to Survey 123 that could be causing this issue? 

0 Kudos
shapirot
New Contributor III

@MichaelTorbett did you ever find a solution to this issue?  I am experiencing a very similar issue in a survey currently

0 Kudos
MichaelTorbett

@shapirot what I ended up doing is taking those decimal fields and making them "calculate" question types in the xlsx form. That solved the calculation issue. However, I still wanted to display that information to the users in the Survey 123 field app. So I made corresponding "note" question types for each one and used the "calculate" column to populate those decimal values in the notes.

0 Kudos