Survey 123 data points not in correct locations

07-10-2020 06:29 AM
LindseyStone
Occasional Contributor III

I have created a Survey123 using the online Web Forms.  Within the survey I have a map so the user grabs their correct location.  I have our locator tied to it, with the intentions being if a person sitting at a computer with out GPS or filling it for someone else than they can type in the address of question instead of the address they are located at.  The problem I'm running into is we are having address points showing up in really weird places, which I'm imaging is when a user (citizen) is not on a GPS device AND they are not typing in their address.  We are in Nebraska, USA and a few days ago points where showing up in Africa and Europe.  I've also seen them show up in other states also.  This is a citizen app so we are reliant for them to either turn on their location service off their smart device or type the address into the map.

My question is how did these points end up continents away and is there anyway I can put a setting if a point can't find a location then it place it on a certain spot on the map or at least contain it to our county?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Lindsey,

The issue you are seeing is due to the incorrect location data being applied to the geopoint question. Unfortunately with a web browser, if the user does not enable location data to be collected for that website, we can not get a valid location. In some cases this means the data will be 0,0, which is located off the west coast of Africa, and in other cases it could be based on last known network location or some other reported value that is not accurate.

If you wanted, you could create a simple geofence square around your location, and using a constraint set the values of x and y to be within those values. You would need to use Connect to do this, and republish your survey, but it works well if you are happy to just use a simple square geofence area. If they are not in the area, they will not be able to submit the form as the constraint will stop this.

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
JennGross
New Contributor II

Has there been any updates on this issue? What I really don't understand is when I type in the address to the search bar in the map, it zooms in and finds the correct location. But then when i look at the data after in a webmap, the points all show up still off of Africa. I don't understand how in the form it finds the location and is not able to keep the right location. 

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @JennGross,

Can you provide more details:

What browser are you using (name and version)?

Did you create the survey in web designer or Survey123 Connect?

Are you able to take screenshots or video recording of what is occuring, it sounds as if the geopoint location you select is not being saved correctly when interacting with geopoint question.

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
JennGross
New Contributor II

Hi Phil,

I'm using Google Chrome (Version 89.0.4389.114).

I created the survey in Survey 1-2-3 in web designer.

In for form as I fill it out it shows this (which is the right location)

JennGross_0-1618277577554.png

But then when I open the survey in a map or just to review the data, all the points show up off of Africa

JennGross_1-1618277639567.png

ZhifangWang
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @JennGross ,

From the information and screenshots you shared above, it seems that the submitted geopoint is actually 0,0 (in Africa) rather than the location you saw on the map before submitting.

Would you mind taking a screenshot by using the developer tools in Chrome and help us confirm the issue? Like the image below, please open the Network panel of developer tools before clicking the Submit button. After submitting,

• Look for the /applyEdits request, find the actual submitted coordinates like pointed by the green arrow
  • Also include the survey version info like the green box

Thanks,

Zhifang

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello,

Similarly, every form entered in Survey123 appeared on Africa and the coordinate value was not displayed in the attribute table. I noticed that the "do not submit the answer" option is checked in the "Other" section at the bottom of the map settings in the form. We are familiar with these kind of cases because of Field Maps where the entire well being of workflows are bound to the fact that a check is checked or unchecked. Hope this helps someone.

Regards,

Ülcan