Select to view content in your preferred language

Survey 123 Add new records if required

08-02-2017 04:14 PM
VirginiaRitchie
New Contributor

I have a survey that collects amphibian visual encounters. The paper form we use collects the data for the area, and then has a section to include multiple sightings for the area if needed. My question is, in Survey 123 is it possible to create a survey where the user has an option to add more records only if needed. For instance, age, weight, sex, and life stage are collected, but if they sight more than one amphibian during the survey, is it possible to create a button that will add new records so they can collect the data for the second sighting too?

Thanks for any help on this.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Virginia,

You can use a repeat for this. Put the age, sex, weight and life stage questions within the repeat, and the end user will be able to capture this information for each amphibian. The data will ultimately be written to a related table, so you would have one survey feature, with 1 or more related amphibians. I know that you mentioned adding new records only if required. But the user does not have to add more than one repeat.

Another approach would be to use relevant questions to hide/display duplicate sets of the questions above (e.g.  age2, sex2, weight2 and lifestage2). These would be made relevant based on an answer to another question, e.g 'collect another amphibian?. This would mean that you would not need a related table, but you would end up with many fields in the table.

Have you considered the above? 

Let me know if this sounds like the right approach and if you need further information.

Thanks

John

0 Kudos
VirginiaRitchie
New Contributor

Thanks John, this is helpful. I am new to Survey 123, so could you elaborate on the use of repeat? Would this be done in 123 connect using an XLS form? Could you please give me an example?

Thanks again for your help.

Ginny

0 Kudos
JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

Yes you would create the survey in connect. I have attached a simple example based on the above.

Please let me know if you need any more information.

Cheers

John

0 Kudos