Spaces in Photo Names

Jump to solution
07-04-2022 12:28 PM
MarkEastwood
Occasional Contributor II

I can no longer add spaces to photo names after the update to version 3.15.146 of Survey123. I noticed that there are rules that file names must adhere to while reading the Media Questions documentation.

@IsmaelChivite - Is there any way I can enable the use of spaces in photo names?  

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Richard_Purkis
Esri Contributor

@MarkEastwood I tested myself and found the same as you. The Survey123 field app restricts you from entering spaces.

The previous point about converting spaces is done if a filename is calculated in the bind::esri:parameters column, such as fileName=concat("asset1"," ", now()) will show as asset1_1657123232563.jpg

I can only recommend that if you want spaces allowed, and converted to underscores whilst typing,  it is raised as an Idea.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Richard_Purkis
Esri Contributor

@MarkEastwood I can confirm it is not possible to enable spaces in file names. As per the documentation you have already sourced, spaces and will be replaced with an underscore. I believe it is to ensure a space isn't treated as a delimiter and consequent issues down the line.

0 Kudos
MarkEastwood
Occasional Contributor II

Thanks @Richard_Purkis ,

The documentation states that spaces will be replaced with an underscore which is totally fine for my organization. The issue that our field users are having with this is the time it takes to add an underscore rather then a space during data collection. I know it seems like a minor time increase but I have had multiple users come to me asking if I could revert back the change.

Was Survey123 meant to restrict users from even entering in spaces in photo file names? Or should they still be able to submit records with spaces and those spaces then be replaced with underscores?

0 Kudos
Richard_Purkis
Esri Contributor

@MarkEastwood I tested myself and found the same as you. The Survey123 field app restricts you from entering spaces.

The previous point about converting spaces is done if a filename is calculated in the bind::esri:parameters column, such as fileName=concat("asset1"," ", now()) will show as asset1_1657123232563.jpg

I can only recommend that if you want spaces allowed, and converted to underscores whilst typing,  it is raised as an Idea.