Show FirstName LastName instead of username

10-05-2021 03:26 AM
BenBlowers2
New Contributor III

Hi all,

I would like to (automatically) capture and display the "FirstName LastName" of the signed in user. I have used the question type "username", but this pulls through my username and is not a nice format for using in Feature Reports etc.

I could use the pulldata function but this isn't particularly dynamic as new users are added to the portal and would require me to manually update CSV databases of usernames and "FirstName LastName"s.

Is there a way to change the appearance of username type questions?

Cheers,

Ben

Tags (2)
4 Replies
DeonLengton
Esri Contributor

Hi Ben

The short answer is - no - there is no appearance setting that will give you the first/last name of the logged in user.

My first thought was that you could maybe use an API call to figure out the username/first name/last name:

https://developers.arcgis.com/rest/users-groups-and-items/user.htm

But it seems you need to be an admin to get that information returned because of privacy concerns.

So your best bet would be a hosted CSV file linked to your survey - but like you say you will have to manually update that CSV file, even though it will be automatically linked to your survey.

https://doc.arcgis.com/en/survey123/desktop/create-surveys/xlsformformulas.htm

Look at "Working with external content":

If you manually place the .csv file in the survey's media folder, and at a later time upload a .csv file of the same name to ArcGIS and link it to the survey, the .csv file in the survey is updated from the linked content (if newer).

0 Kudos
BenBlowers2
New Contributor III

Hi Deon,

Many thanks for assuring me. I will use the pulldata technique 🙂 no doubt Esri will implement this ability in the future!

Best wishes,

Ben

0 Kudos
m3
by
Occasional Contributor

The first and last name are in the JSON of a webhook, why isn't there a way to get to that within the survey?

0 Kudos
RobertAnderson3
MVP Regular Contributor

I had been using a Javascript function to clean the username it was giving me BUT as of 3.15 there is a pulldata property that you can use for this which I'm going to start using in my surveys!

pulldata("@property", 'userFullName')The user's full name
pulldata("@property", 'userFirstName')The user's first name
pulldata("@property", 'userLastName')The user's last name