Setting the max character count above 255 in a text field in the Survey123 Web Designer does not work

12-05-2018 09:50 AM
MatthewBradbury
New Contributor III

In the Survey123 Web Designer, setting the max character count in a multi-line text field does not change the field length if the value is greater than 255; if a user sets the maximum characters to above 255, the limit will still be 255. When pulling the xls form into Survey123 connect, the constraint is set to the max character limit, but the bind::esri:fieldLength value is blank. setting the field length in Connect works as intended. Setting the maximum character limit should also change the field length.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Matthew,

You can manually set the field length at the time of publishing through the 'Modify Schema' link when publishing.  

CédricVilleneuve1
New Contributor

I do need to do the same with a "note" question type in which I use a regex function that list my repeat entries. It seems that when I go above 255 the form won't synchronize. I'm using Survey connect 3.3.31. Can we set maximum caracter with note question as well?

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Hi Cédric,

Yes, you can set the maximum length of a note question.  If using Survey123 Connect, I would also recommend not giving a note question a name - that will cause it not to submit the note information (as would setting the bind::esri:fieldType column to null for the note).

MichelleWilliams1
Occasional Contributor III

Hi James, is the modify schema still available in 3.7.62? I tried publishing this morning and didn't see it.

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Hi Michelle,

The 'Modify Schema' option is part of the Survey123 Web Designer authoring workflow; by editing the XLSForm file, you will then modify the schema when you republish from Survey123 Connect.

0 Kudos
GordonCourtney
New Contributor II

Can you provide a screenshot of how to find this. I am using Survey 123 Connect 3.17.55.0 and do not see Modify Schema as an option when republishing with Survey 123 Connect. My survey was initially created in Survey 123 Connect.

0 Kudos
AndrewPadilla
Occasional Contributor

Hi James Tedrick‌, Can the field length be changed after the survey has been published without losing the data? Is the data lost in the one field (with field length changed) or the whole survey? I've got a few fields in a published survey that need field length needs to be increased. I am working with surveys designed in Connect and posted being submitted with the web app. Thank you for your time.

0 Kudos
MichelleWilliams1
Occasional Contributor III

You can not change the length of a field once published. You can make a new field with a longer length, and then calculate the field from the old field to the new field. I hope that helps.

Just a reminder, if you add a field to a repeat, you'll need to add a dummy field in the original survey to get it to publish. This is a known bug.

0 Kudos
AndrewPadilla
Occasional Contributor

Thank you Michelle Williams‌. That is a good work around to know. I was able to make it work!

0 Kudos