Setting a default value in a binary field from a Survey123 survey

Jump to solution
11-05-2019 03:39 PM
CarlNettleton
New Contributor II

I created a Survey123 survey with a binary field called "Verified." Choices are "No" and "Yes" The survey feature set is expressed twice in ArcGIS Online - one version shows records with the value "No" the other with the value "Yes" My question is how to set the default value to "No" in the feature set data layer when new submissions come in since the "Verified" question is no longer in the survey (because we don't want anonymous survey takers to change verified to "Yes" NOTE - I am at Esri headquarters today and tomorrow (11/5 - 11/6/2019) if personal intervention would be possible..

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Carl,

Apologies for the delay, but there are a couple of ways to support a default location.  The simplest would be to provide the value 'No' (or 'no', whichever is the name value for the choice) in the default column.  In your case, it sounds like this should be a hidden (as opposed to a single choice) question in the form so that a user cannot mark themselves as verified.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
JamesTedrick

Hi Carl,

Apologies for the delay, but there are a couple of ways to support a default location.  The simplest would be to provide the value 'No' (or 'no', whichever is the name value for the choice) in the default column.  In your case, it sounds like this should be a hidden (as opposed to a single choice) question in the form so that a user cannot mark themselves as verified.

CarlNettleton
New Contributor II

Thanks James ... was working with Esri support on this, too. I couldn't load Survey123 Connect on my Mac because the app hasn't been updated for the Mac yet. But once I understood that I could accomplish your suggestion in Connect, I loaded it on my PC and all good. Appreciate the help.

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Hi Carl,

Thanks for the feedback.  Regarding the app not loading on the Mac, are you referring to the new message that appears in macOS 10.15 warning about software?  That's related to a new 'app notarization' requirement that will be addressed in the next release; it can also be overridden by going to the Control Panel's Security and allowing the program to run; see the final section of this Apple help document.

0 Kudos
CarlNettleton
New Contributor II

HI James

Yes … this is the screen shot of the message ….

Carl

Carl Nettleton

OpenOceans Global

“Solving ocean crises by unifying and empowering global communities, starting with ocean trash and plastic."

858-353-5489

carl@openoceans.org

www.openoceans.org

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Hi Carl,

Yes, this is the issue I was referring to; the Apple documentation provides guidance on allowing the install to occur anyways.  The next version of Survey123/Survey123 Connect (planned for next week) will be notarized

0 Kudos
CarlNettleton
New Contributor II

Great! Happy Thanksgiving.

Carl

Carl Nettleton

OpenOceans Global

“Solving ocean crises by unifying and empowering global communities, starting with ocean trash and plastic."

858-353-5489

carl@openoceans.org

www.openoceans.org

0 Kudos