Send Error: String or binary data would be truncated

Jump to solution
12-04-2020 08:04 AM
LauraEDugan
New Contributor II

Hi all. I have seen this question on here before, and the answer is that values entered into a question or the defaults/calculations are longer than what is allowed for that field. However, I have checked all of these and I am still getting the error when I try to save an observation. I troubleshooted by adding questions a few at a time to find out when the error started, and I am pretty sure I know which ones cause the problems (the error started when I added these three: ${detected_type}, ${evidence_type}, ${detected_comments}. Removing those questions, however, does not make the error go away. I'm attaching a copy of the form here. Note that all questions are valid when checked in ArcGIS Survey123Connect, but when I try to save and send an observation in the mobile app, I get this error: Send Error...String or binary data would be truncated. The statement has been terminated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BarbaraWebster1
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Laura,

I was able to reproduce the error you're seeing using your XLS. It looks like the issue is that when all the question responses are left as default, the string that is calculated for the MAP_BY calculation question exceeds the field length that is defined in the bind::esri:fieldLength field.

Once I removed the bind::esri:fieldLength value in my test survey and republished, I was able to submit a survey again without an error message. Note that removing the bind::esri:fieldLength value and republishing will re-create the feature class and any data that is currently stored within it will be lost, so this method is only recommended if you haven't collected any data for this survey yet. Another approach would be to shorten the calculated string for this field so it doesn't exceed the field's character limit.

Does that resolve the error for your survey?

Thanks,
-Barbara

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
BarbaraWebster1
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Laura,

I was able to reproduce the error you're seeing using your XLS. It looks like the issue is that when all the question responses are left as default, the string that is calculated for the MAP_BY calculation question exceeds the field length that is defined in the bind::esri:fieldLength field.

Once I removed the bind::esri:fieldLength value in my test survey and republished, I was able to submit a survey again without an error message. Note that removing the bind::esri:fieldLength value and republishing will re-create the feature class and any data that is currently stored within it will be lost, so this method is only recommended if you haven't collected any data for this survey yet. Another approach would be to shorten the calculated string for this field so it doesn't exceed the field's character limit.

Does that resolve the error for your survey?

Thanks,
-Barbara

0 Kudos
LauraEDugan
New Contributor II

Yes, thank you! That fixed the issue. I had just glazed over that field when checking since I hadn't done anything directly to it. I had forgotten that it was pulling from ${v_by}. That has had me stuck for days. Thank you so much.

0 Kudos
BarbaraWebster1
Esri Regular Contributor

No problem!

0 Kudos